Agnostic.com

8 4

What are Mythos and Logos?

[agnostic.com]

skado 9 Aug 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Using these concepts for a property, could one say that the curb (kerb) appeal of a house is akin to its mythos. The practicality of its layout is akin to its logos. If both are high, then so is its market value.
(Much the same criteria could be applied to personality.)

Strange... about a week or so ago I came across the very site that you had linked to in that post, talk about peculiar timing. For a moment there thought I was having a dream or something similar to deja vu.

Was recently playing the video game Deus Ex Human Revolution, which has underlying themes of Greek mythology/the renaissance/and transhumanism, and that prompted me to look up articles on those topics, and one of the interesting sites I came across was the one you linked to.

Interesting topic to bring up on here, the two main driving forces behind how/why human beings think feel and act out as they do. Even to this day ancient mythology(s) has much influence on our society, more so than the average citizen realizes.

The legend of Icarus...
One example of ancient mythology in which its talking points and morals within are still very relevant in this day and age. No shortage of highly ambitious individuals out there, but just how productive are all of those ambitions really?

The logos did not for the ancient Greeks follow after the mythos, the two were seen as always there and side by side. And at no time did they ever consider illustrative metaphors made in philosophy, to be part of the mythos, they were always firmly a part of the logos, and using them is not an entry into mythos. The mythos never really meant simply myths, in our sense of the word, nor heritage, but rather emotional and intuitive understanding, instead of the world of rational thought. The meanings of the two words, were much richer and more nuanced than that.

Moreover, nobody that I know or have heard of, rejects, or even feels the need to actively accept, metaphor and story telling as parts of science and philosophy, or indeed in general. That would be very strange. What most people do is to be selective, ( Selective is different to cherry picking. ) and to reject only old inherited myths and stories, which carry messages, ( racism, misogyny, the glorification of violence etc. ) they no longer regard as good or true. Including especially the myth of golden age wisdom, and that inherited thought is somehow better than modern thought, which idea is an overarching myth covering many others. To suggest that accepting or rejecting story and metaphor, is or could even be an issue, is like saying that accepting and liking technology, means that you should give yourself a half hour in an electric chair. To use a metaphor.

Ah.
Some people (mythos) are guided by their heart, others (logos) by their head.
The world needs both for its sanity!

@Fernapple

…and… a lot has happened since then.

@skado Quite.

different kings of pizza i thought, some round some square.

You covered it pretty well the first time around. Mythos tells a story and Logos is the word or logic in that story. Our world today has much myth and very little logic. The problem is that the mythos seems to think they are the logos. People tell me of strange "out of nowhere" websites to back up their nonsense and often say the man talking on the site is a former CIA agent or governmental high up. For all I know a couple from Berger King decided to start a website. Maybe the guy was a fry cook.

Antonyms of each other…Myth v Logic (Reason). Put otherwise…a belief in supernatural beings v using logic and reason to discount their existence.

Greek islands, right? Is there an all inclusive resort on the beach? It’s on my bucket list.

In ancient Greek, the former was a story. The latter a plan.
Hence the words "Myths" and "Logistics'.
I'm sure scholars would have a better answer.

Sounds good to me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:728458
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.