Agnostic.com

8 1

What is a god/s

I am curious as to what others think a god is?

#god
DragonDust 6 Sep 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours.

skado Level 9 Sep 19, 2023

God is a concept invented by man to explain things they couldn't understand.

Or things he could understand, but did not want others to understand.

A god is whatever the believer believes it is. Anything and everything or nothing at all...

Let me stop you right there........most of us on here do not spend much time trying to describe unicorns, postulate what they might have eaten or enjoyed, either.......

You are massively underestimating my curiosity with imaginary things like unicorns or gods. Like why one horn? Is it strong like a rhino or does it fall out like antlers? Is a god defined by extreme power or behaviour? If you can create life maybe? So scientists or parents could be gods of varying power.

@DragonDust ohferpetessake, get a life!

@DragonDust unicornis are not imaginary. The real unicorns that currently exist, and one that went extinct is most likely causation for the mythological style unicorn. And, gods, particularly biblical gods do exist, you are one. And imagionary does play the part or ecosystem for meme organism has evolution in the imagination. Meme organism as documented in biblical text is the biological nature of Jesus character that evolved to mimic homo sapien form.

Extinct unicorn
[bbc.com]

Unicorn that currently exists.
[en.m.wikipedia.org]

@FvckY0u now I know

@FvckY0u Curious. It's true unicorns or Rhinos do exist.

@DragonDust do notice, there are 2 different types of rhynosarus, 1 horn unicorn, and 2 horn bicorn.

Imaginary

Firstly and most importantly, it is a human made concept. No other species, Flora or Fauna, give two hoots about deities. Only us.
Secondly, if we had two children growing up in isolation, I very much doubt that they would come up with a concept of "god" on their own. If we did not indoctrinate the next generation into a belief of "god", the concept would disappear from human society.

Other than that, who cares what people think.........as long as it does not affect other life adversely.

NB As for the big questions; I go Buddha, accepting of "Just is"

puff Level 8 Sep 19, 2023

@FvckY0u That's the thing about gods, no proof needed only faith. I do know that without god humans live OK but without humans, god(s) don't exist.

@FvckY0u That is different from what I term as what is "god" which is

1. a deity
  2. demands worship
  3. Humans are beneath it

No deity seems to factor in your belief so I would say you don't believe in gods, something else entirely. This, of course, is my opinion. If it helps you thinking of it as a god, good for you. But I would put it to you the singular word "god" was taught to you eg not your original thought. If it was never taught, you would not consider it as an option.

@FvckY0u I try to not judge people per say, but I will judge their actions. To judge something you need a base line so you first need to judge yourself, and most of us judge ourselves as pretty damn good.
As a full blown atheist I have totally rejected the concept of deities as human made ideology only still existing as we choose to indoctrinate the next generation into our belief, which was also taught to us. The topic no longer interests me as those who tend to argue are indoctrinated and they will defend that doctrine against reason and logic ie exactly like arguing with someone retarded ie pointless, like bashing your head against a brick wall.
So I've reverted to live and let live.

@FvckY0u Also a good way to be.
I've deduced spiritual equates non-physical with love and creativity our non physical traits. These two things cannot be observed, measured, replicated, defined or even identified in people so must be non-physical aka spiritual in nature (how my brain works 😉 )
I can sense there is non physical shit going on so in my mind, this deduction justifies "the big questions" for me. No deities required. Others think differently, all good I like diversity in life.

God is a meaningless term, which enables it to mean anything anyone wants it to.

Which is why it is popular, who would want a god that did not totally agree with you ?

You want a metaphorical synonym for the first cause, God.
A personal imaginary friend, God.
A metaphor for collective thinking, God.
A way to say you have a relationship with a mystery (sic), God.
But above all, if you want an unchallengeable authority, who is always on your side in every political and moral debate, God.

(The last is especially good if you are an idiot, who likes to believe some weird stuff, like. "Red haired people eat babies." )

which enables it to mean anything anyone wants it to <-- Hmmm.... That has some thought.

Spinoza's God is akin, or perhaps plays its role in modern times to give us the philosophical spaghetti monster sky God construct without understanding the information of new testiment that explains better what a biblical style god is when viewing wherewithal of both old and new testiments.

Spinoza's God gives us his Jewish ancestry Old testiment view of "most high" thing in existence. (Psalms 82:6).

Where as we can see Spinoza and most Jewish do not accept new testiment to see witness statements explain that the meme organism of old testiment evolved into flesh as Jesus.

In new testiment we have understanding that "god" is a title for top position, meme organism is biological nature for Jesus.

See my group "Illogical atheists guide for ending Christianity "

Very well established historically, in modern usage AND documented in dictionary that people are gods.

laws for the nation of Israel 2000 years ago recognized their citizens as gods. Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your Law, ‘I have said you are “gods"’? John 10:34

Tep 10 Ultimate Rock Gods of All Time. [forum.songfacts.com]

List of people who have been considered deities

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

And, dictionary of modern usage shows. Bankers. Daniel Boone and Kit Carson as gods in their respective categories. See picture attached.

God
3. an adored, admired, or influential person.
"he has little time for the fashion victims for whom he is a god"

People like Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris, Daniel Dennett, Christopher Hitchens are gods of illogical atheism.

These gods of illogical atheism are gods because they are at top of hierarchy for illogical atheist in that they are very popular, influential and highly revered among other illogical atheist.

Word Level 8 Sep 19, 2023

Winner!!! The Award for Word Salad of the Week, well-deserved right here.......

@AnneWimsey I have my word salad on my profile. It's not apart of discussion here. Don't know why you think it necessa to commit here about my word salad on my profile.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:731299
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.