Agnostic.com

53 9

Is it 'wrong' to love more than one person at the same time?

Which is preferrable::

Get married, have children, 'cheat', then divorce ...or...be honest with yourself and your partner and admit that the possibility of loving more than one person during the course of a relationships life cycle is part of the 'facts of life" ? Why do we continue to accept the religious view of marriage to mean one man and one woman FOREVER? Who believes in forever anyway. Can anybody know for certainty that feelings, thoughts or personalities do not change with time?

Why do we subscribe to this religious dogma?

Granolagirl 5 May 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

53 comments (51 - 53)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Monogamy vs polygamy vs the extended family. All tend to devote themselves to either themselves or their progeny. Which is right? It must be defined by the individuals involved.

When you commit, you tend to do everything to achieve something. Love is some sort of a commitment which is not written or signed in paper. When you break your commitment, that invisible paper gets lost, and it's hard to bring the trust back. We have only 24 hours a day, out of those you sleep and do chores more than half, then work, then may be children, then may be pastime, so where does a productive man or woman get time to deal with multiple partners in a loving way. If you are hooking up or cheating because you don't feel the love for your current partner, then sooner or letter someone will break someone's heart. There's no absolute right and wrong.. when you love someone, you eventually know what will break their heart, and if you intentionally break heart anyway and bring sadness, are you wrong? It's up to what you define compassion for yourself. But I am a fan of free and unconditional love. But unluckily we haven't physically and culturally evolved with such maturity and rationality. So, conflict and jealousy and heart wrecks are inevitable.

It doesn't have to involve marriage. When someone is in a relationship with me, I make it known that we are to be monogamous. If she doesn't want to be monogamous, then she can seek what she wants elsewhere. I just don't want to deal with it. It causes problems with time spent and other issues. I feel there is no sense in the relationship if she wants to spend time with other men. What's the sense of being in a relationship? That's more like just a friendship or just a sexual relationship. If someone doesn't get jealous then more power to them. Let them rent their significant other out to the neighborhood. No judgment. It just isn't for me. Unless maybe we go a few years and I agree to want to have sex with other people either individually or together. It's all about what you want at the moment. Neither view is being "enlightened" or not. It just is what it is at the moment. Relationships need to balance with each other's wants and needs. If they don't, then bye bye. I'm not going to stay with someone and be miserable if I'm not feeling what's going on. If I have problems with something and my significant other doesn't care enough to take that into consideration and compromise on a larger scale, then we don't need to be with each other. If you are "in love" with someone else, I don't see it ending up well, for me at least. If you don't want a relationship, don't get into one. When I was in a relationship, I looked at other women and saw women who I would have definitely wanted to have sex with, but I had a responsibility to someone else's trust and their feelings. I also didn't want to have sex with other people. Maybe if I was with someone for 20 years I would think differently, but I don't right now. If I have sex with other people then I feel like I don't really "love" the person I'm with. Like I said, it doesn't have to do with being enlightened or evolved. It just is what it is. Maybe I will feel differently at another time in my life.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:73315
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.