Agnostic.com

2 10

The Seattle Times sent hikers here for Golden Week. Good.

Mt. Stuart, 9,416' elevation. To reach this view, Karen and I hiked to Teanaway Ridge on the south side of Blewett Pass. We were joined by over 50 people. Seattle meetup hiking groups. The ridge was so crowded, Karen and I slid in slush and mud to a lower spot for lunch. Once again a treasured hike is ruined by overcrowding.

This Sunday I'm taking my daughter Claire and her boyfriend Gage hiking to a different, beautiful ridge on the north side of Blewett Pass (last 2 photos). Claire and Gage have never seen Golden Week. I look forward to it every year.

Northern Larch are only one of two conifers in North America that lose their needles in the Fall. For one glorious week the needles turn bright gold in October.

Northern Larch grow in Eastern WA between 3,000 feet and 9,000 feet elevation.

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Back in the early 90s my wife and I spent the night at Teanaway Creek Campground down near the freeway one Thursday evening. The campground was maybe a mile across and completely empty (by my fuzzy memory -- at least the across part). But when we woke up there was a large recreational vehicle right next to our tent. We didn't hang around to find out if they were trying to be sociable or trying to intimidate us.🤔

In any event, it worked I guess. We immediately left. There are too many people in this world.

@RichCC

You were wise to leave.

Parking a large recreational right next to your tent is hostile, rude and intimidating. They were trying to drive you away.

@LiterateHiker
I'm a little people shy.

My mother's family had a lot of cowboys (I vaguely know I'm distantly related to the Bundy group from southern Utah over by Colorado City but we try to ignore it).

She was very afraid of cowboy senses of humor. More than once I remember breaking camp and moving when we were seen -- it discouraged late night return visits.

My grandfather homesteaded north of the Canyon long ago in House Rock Valley and my mother grew up on a very secluded ranch -- I'm confident she knew the correct attitude. 😐

BTW... A bit of trivia.
The small Hopi reservation abuts the much larger Navajo reservation and as far as I know they've never been happy about it.

For a while there was a push to give the Hopis House Rock Valley. But it never worked out because every bit of water in that Valley was on homestead land so they decided to just suffer along the way they were.

There are and somehow they just keep multiplying. We're even worse than rabbits.

People ruin everything!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:733498
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.