Agnostic.com

26 3

Does The Universe Have Intention?

I run into so many people who are confident that they have risen above the belief in a god or the need to participate in organized religion, but who are quite happy to attribute intentionality to the "Universe", and perform all kinds of superstitious rituals. Instead of referring to "God's will" they will say things like "The universe must not have wanted me to do this, because it just isn't happening in spite of my efforts". How is this not just a different name for god?

I have no problem with using 'god' or 'the universe' as metaphor for the collective forces beyond my control, but when we cross that line into believing that they literally have conscious intentions for us we are right smack center in supernatural territory, regardless of which name we use.
(seems to me - what think ye?)

skado 9 Dec 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments (26 - 26)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7375
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.