Agnostic.com

8 4

I agree. No preachers allowed at my funeral, bring a physicist

ronnie40356 7 Nov 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Who cares? Once I'm gone, I'm gone. There is no need for explanation. It is entirely up to the bereaved how they want to process my death. šŸ˜›

Ryo1 Level 8 Dec 1, 2023

Admittedly there's a romance to that science that I can appreciate, but it seems to fall into the same thought pattern as religion does: reassuring those living that their loved one still lives on somewhere. That's never cut it for me with the way too many people I've lost. Who they are as I loved them is no longer here - or anywhere. It's a definitive ending.

There's very little I care about after I've died, and I have always told my daughter that she is the only person who can make a decision as to my funeral arrangements and she can do or not do as she wants. She knows my preference is cremation as inexpensively as possible and as I raised atheists, it gives me some comfort while I'm alive to know there won't be any religious nonsense surrounding it. Once I'm dead? I suppose it doesn't matter.

I told my kids to just have a bonfire in my backyard and throw my body in it, have a keg party and just have fun! Life goes on, fuck it!!!

English professor made the mistake of asking the class what kind of funeral they would want.... I told her I wanted a Belter's send off from Niven's known space series.... People sit around getting drunk telling tall tails about what an asshole I was in life.... But I added a twist telling her that "afterwards since I had no further need of my body as far as I was concerned they could throw me on the BBQ and the cannibals could eat me..." The entire class lost it.

Where am I going to find a physicist to speak at my funeral? I'd like to have a jazz funeral, like they have in New Orleans, which begins at a bar and everybody's drunk, with music, loud!

As a funeral celebrant, I've been asked to recite lots of sciency things, not quite like this, but with other words and ideas. People who request a secular or humanistic funeral can rest assured there will be no religious words of worship, just loving memories shared and what they stood for to absorbed into the hearts and minds of those who loved them and wish to have a beautiful celebration of their life. The funerals are for the grieving, not the dead, but I believe we all should have the power to direct in advance how our life will be celebrated.

I donā€™t want a funeral. If you love me, come see me while I am alive.

Just get it over with, at that point it means Nothing to me!!!!

Why would an atheist have a funeral?

skado Level 9 Nov 29, 2023

So family can say goodbye?

I'm actually being cremated, so not sure if I'll have anything and that's okay.

@ronnie40356
Are family all atheists?

@skado which family? Mine? If so, no of course not.

The physicist's comments have nothing to do with religion or atheism. Don't get hung up on the atheism. I thought it was just a good way of saying(IMO) that we all make an impression in the world simply through our existence regardless whether we're religious or not. Not looking for a debate on whether I'll have, or atheists have funerals.

@ronnie40356
Iā€™m not pushing for a debate. Just curious.

@skado okay, me to. AlwaysšŸ˜

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:738370
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.