Agnostic.com

3 7

I cannot believe how big today's Christmas stockings are.

My daughter Claire has a new boyfriend Gage. In the past five years, her dad and artist Terry helped me design Christmas stockings for her two boyfriends (Matt and Shane). I sewed and embroidered their names. "It's to welcome him into the family," Claire says.

After they broke up, Claire threw out their handmade Christmas stockings to my dismay. I could have used pieces on new Christmas stockings.

Both Terry and I are tired of creating brand-new Christmas stockings for her boyfriends.

So Terry and I split the cost of Gage's Christmas stocking ($74). I searched for "Christmas stockings for men who love mountains and hiking." It was my job to fill it up. I put in a Ziploc sandwich bag full of salted cashews, and a few gifts for both Claire and Gage. I save little boxes for small gifts. Then wrapped every gift except the bag of cashews.

Look at the size of it! Conspicuous consumption. Americans oversize food portions, cars, trucks, houses, etc.

Originally I made Claire's stocking for her new cat Rosie who was re-housed because she beat up on Diamond, their first cat. I liked the portrait I made of Claire at seven so much, I cut out a new white cuff and embroidered Claire's name on it. My Christmas stocking was made by my Aunt Loretta when I was five. Claire will fill it up.

The cuff of Gage's stocking folds over. Perfect. In January I'm going to take his stocking to a professional seamstress to remove three inches of blue felt between the white cuff and stars. The seam will disappear under the cuff.

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 Dec 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No need to hire a professional to shorten the thing....fold the cuff up after determining where you want the cut to go, leaving about an inch leeway.
Cut along your determined lines, discard the cut off piece, overlap the cut edges about 1/2'' inch, hand sew ( it won't show, so just do it.)
Or use hot melt glue to connect them. ( far faster, easier, and even washable if you dry on Low)
If you use the glue gun, be sure to insert a piece of aluminum foil inside the stocking both above and below the gluing area before gluing to prevent accidental closure of the whole thing.
Fold the cuff back down, let cool a minute or two.
Use care with hot melt glue, it can & will stick to You and leave a nasty burn!
You're welcome!
P.S. a hot melt glue gun is about $7 at a Walmart craft area, get the cheapest, make sure you get hot melt and the proper sticks, will say "All-purpose" or "hot melt" on them.
They are ocassionally indispensable, I fixed a leaky gutter with it and the repair lasted 20+ years when expensive tubes of caulking, supposedly right for the job, lasted 2 days to 6 months, tops.

@annewimsey1

I don't want to do that.

As a perfectionist I would wince, thinking it looks crooked.

@LiterateHiker I was born a perfectionist and literally beaten by my parents if I did not get A+ ( "A is not good enough!" )my entire school career, and have made wedding dresses from magazine pix/sketches for some famous people (or their soon to be wives).
It will not be crooked unless you are shaky with the nice sharp scissors you would of course use.

@annewimsey1

You have my sympathy. I feel horrified and sad that your parents beat you.

My dad criticized my grades if I got an A-. He called me "the pretty one" and my sister Lynne "the smart one." Of course I felt he was calling me dumb.

And just how old is this Gage? Sure it's well past the 'stocking' age.

@jackjr

It's not an Easter basket.

Gage is 37, my daughter Claire is 33. In my family, Christmas stockings are a fun tradition for all ages.

@LiterateHiker So is there a stage when you get a stocking made for you?.

@jackjr

I have a Christmas stocking made by my aunt when I was five.

It's the left stocking. My nickname is Kathy.

@LiterateHiker Did they actually get filled? I still remember Xmas morning our stockings were full (with an orange in the toe). We spent time going through the goodies and Santa(s) got to sleep a little longer.

@jackjr

Yes, the stockings are full.

Put the computers and cars in the larger stockings. There was a time that all we got was things inside those stockings.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:740135
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.