Agnostic.com

3 6

LINK El Salvador crackdown breaks the gangs – at huge cost to human rights | El Salvador | The Guardian

CNN says 2% of the population was arrested. AP says 1%. A benevolent dictator is the most effective government. The trouble is that the dictator might not be "your" dictator & the dictator seldom remains benevolent. The country is desperate after what we did or are doing to it by our failed drug policy & our past support for the death squads. Perhaps now there will be less Salvdoreanos fleeing their country & ease up on the border crisis.

Mooolah 8 Feb 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Interesting. There's certainly something to be said about being free to live your life without your neighborhood being a lawless gang battleground with gangs extorting from everyone. I suspect he will get reelected. Depends on what kind of dictator he is, certainly dictatorships have evolved into functioning democracies. A big part of the gang issue is international though. IE as long as drug money and guns pour out of the US into Latin America the gangs will never completely be defeated.

What is the solution to America's failed Biden + Congress's drug law? Perhaps another unsolvable problem that I obsess upon. After all we are the "leader of the free world." South Korea, Taiwan, Argentina, Chile`, Spain, Yugoslavia, Philipines, which morphed into several democracies recently in history. Some are attempting to be but it is a challenge when corruption & the drug crisis continues.

@Mooolah Prohibition doesn't work, and generally just creates a fantastic revenue stream for the criminally inclined. Not to mention armed criminal gangs. Rampant drug use often goes hand in hand with poverty and inequality, it's a symptom of an unhealthy society. A society where everyone had a fair shake would go a long ways towards mitigating the problem. Drugs are one of those things like gambling or illegal immigration, they are ALWAYS going to exist, they are an aspect of society to be managed for minimum harm and maximum good. Sadly America has way too many leaders promoting simplistic good vs evil solutions that are high minded but don't actually address any of the causes of the problems.
Thank you for attending my TED talk.

@Druvius Thank you for the TED talk & your input. I am being sincere. "Always going to exist" add prostitution. I have trouble accepting what I can't change per the Serenity Prayer. Makes for many visits to a shrink. I am a problem solver & am frustrated when problems are not solved. Putting distance between me & people is just one thing that gives me peace, along with medication & nature.

Immediately upon walking in to my Vet's on 9/11 and seeing the live feed of the horror from NYC, I said, "Well, there go our civil rights".
Nothing I have seen since has convinced me otherwise....

The Patriot Act isn't.

I knew within days of 9/11 that it was going to be spun into all the wrong things. There wasn't going to be any discussion of how and why it happened.

Similar thing happened in the Phillipines not so long ago, except that the police killed anyone who was involved with drugs.

Yes. Men would jump on their motor bikes and go hunting for drug related people. Under Marcos Jr. this has ended.....I hope.

@Mooolah I have friends in the Phillipines and some of them were very happy with it.

@Jolanta Happy with murder?

@Mooolah I don’t think they thought of it as murder. Drug crime there were out of proportion.

@Jolanta Yes I know. Happening in so many places. I suppose vigilantism is that last resort when law enforcement is over whelmed or corrupt. The people will take things into their own hands when social order breaks down. Interesting to watch....from afar.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:746649
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.