Agnostic.com

3 4

The words atheist and agnostic conjure up a number of different perceptions and meanings. When it comes to questioning the existence of gods, the subject is a tricky one that is often misunderstood.

Key Takeaways: Atheism and Agnosticism
Atheism is about belief or, specifically, what you don't believe.
An atheist doesn't believe in any gods.
Agnosticism is about knowledge or, specifically, about what you don't know.
An agnostic doesn't know if any gods exist or not.
It is common for people to be both agnostics and atheists or agnostics and theists.

TheoryNumber3 8 Mar 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Atheism isn't just about 'belief'. This is a falsehood perpetuated by those not kindly disposed towards atheism. It's an attempt to infer that atheism is like a mirror image opposite of theism. It's isn't. Nor is agnosticism about knowledge in contrast to atheism. Any real atheist with a working brain will tell you that atheism is based on the assertion that there is NO evidence for the existence of ANY god, but if any theist would care to find some then we'd be delighted to consider it -- on a evidentially basis. And while it is true that some claim to be both agnostic and atheist, methinks a couple of glasses of wine and dash of logic would reveal that they're really only agnostics with a weakly streak of atheism just thrown in there. On the other hand those claiming or appearing to be agnostics while also theists is well known, but really they're just theists who might have given up their church but not their religious inclinations, and adopting the label agnostic is just safe enough to feel and sound cool while not so much to offend the god they still internally believe in, or are still afraid of, which being an atheist might risk.

Could be, but note that when I said belief in evidence I was talking about theists belief in evidence. Which is of course false evidence, so I was saying that theists must claim to both believe and know.

I have no beliefs, as I have a world view based on facts and falsifiable evidence. This makes me an atheist.

Any dumbfuck that asserts that I claim that their particular god does not exist is merely flaunting his (or her) cretinism.

And if you have multiple voices in your head (like me) you can believe in more than one quadrant. And the arguments can get intense...

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:748902
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.