Agnostic.com

6 7

Technology whizzed past me. I need a herd of teen angels.

Ten year ago, my boyfriend John called me "culturally deprived" because I never watch TV. I laughed. I'm a lifelong reader. At 15, I asked my parents for "The Complete Works of William Shakespeare" for Christmas. I read the whole book. Loved it.

John took me to Costco and bought me a Samsung LED TV. Thank goodness he hooked it up. I only watch Netflix and Amazon Prime movies. Recently Netflix sent me notices: "Netflix will stop serving your device on March 20, 2024."

Samsung has excellent customer service. "Technology moves on," the Samsung customer service rep said. "I treasure old movies of my daughter when she was a baby and toddler," I replied. "I feel the same way," he said.

I ordered a new Samsung TV. When it arrived, it had no ports to plug in my DVD player.

"Buy a streaming device," a Samsung customer service rep advised when I called for a return label. I searched for the highest rated streaming device in 2024. Ordered a ROKU streaming stick 4K, the highest rated. "Easiest set up," reviewers said.

No instructions on how to use it.

All ROKU sent was setup instructions. I spent 2-1/2 maddening hours with ROKU automated customer service. I timed out four times. Then started over with a new customer service rep. "How do I make Netflix full screen?" I repeated.

Netflix was a tiny box in the top left corner of my TV screen. ROKU kept asking for a photo of my TV screen. It took me too long to take a photo with my phone, transfer it to my computer, download the photo, save it, and upload it on the ROKU screen.

Suddenly Netflix sprung into full screen! Delighted, I celebrated by watching a Netflix movie. Hope it stays that way. Don't want go through this each time I watch a movie.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What happened with John?

@CallMeDave

After six months of dating, I dumped John because of his mean streak.

"Other women have called me mean," he said.

John had been married three times.

Have you tried PBS? One can get access to some videos but the top one require one to be a Passport member. To do this one has to contribute to PBS and the bottom rate is only $60 a year. Well worth the price.

@jackjr

I go to my friend Billie's house to watch PBS. We enjoy shows like "Call the Midwife."

@LiterateHiker I've watched the series twice. Can't handle the blood births and the silly nuns (but at least they're Anglican and not Catholic). Still the situations and acting is amazing. They are now starting their 13th season.

I haven't had a telly at home for the last 12 years or so. If I had, I'd only watch sports, movies, series and, occasionally, the news. I don't miss it. Distracted as I am, I'd forget that some match or movie would be shown at a certain time and forget to watch anyway. I read about what's going on often. Things have changed a lot and it's very hard to keep up with the rhythm of things at techn level. We can only do our best.

@Paddypereira

Thank you for your thoughtful, kind reply. I never bought a TV.

Instead I have been happy and busy reading, getting a master degree, working, hiking, skiing, weightlifting, running, volunteering, cooking from scratch and having fun.

The only thing I missed was Olympics ice skating. But I can watch highlights on my computer the next day.

@LiterateHiker, many of my friends work in IT. If they have a hard time keeping up with the pace things change, we'll have even a harder one. Probably I would struggle as well with many of the new things tech related, including modern televisions.

I've got what might be the most convenient TV left on Earth. 24" insignia from Best Buy, cost about $75, has a USB 2 port for Roku. Weighs all of five pounds and sits on a folding table next to my desk. Good enough, mostly I watch basketball anyway.

I no longer have any TVs, I had not turned it on in years. Everything I watch is on my laptop, and I don't watch often. My kids tell me I'm Amish.

@HippieChick58

I support you. I'm in the Banned Book Club at the public library.

I despise the horrid way that we consumers are treated by the very companies that rely on our continued use of these devices to stay in existence.

@WayneDalton

Samsung has excellent customer service. Over the years with my permission, they took control of my TV to update Netflix and my TV. For free. It's been a joy.

Samsung still makes a TV with multiple ports. But it costs $1,000, too expensive for me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:750984
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.