Agnostic.com

1 11

Christmas cactus blooms

I started this Christmas cactus from two starts at age 17 in Michigan. "It's my longest relationship," I joke.

It's a "Thanksgiving type" of Christmas cactus that blooms from November to April. A great joy!

When she was little, my daughter Claire and I would lie under the plant and look up at the flowers. "The flowers look like butterflies!" Claire said.

Christmas cacti grow in the crotches of trees under the Amazon rain forest canopy. They like bright indirect light (no direct sun) and tight feet. I haven't transplanted this plant in 25 years.

To make it bloom, withhold water in October. The plant thinks it is dying so it flowers to propagate the species by spreading it's seeds.

I fertilize it with half-strength Miracle Grow fertilizer to plump up the flower buds in November. The plant is on a Lazy Susan. Flower buds develop on the side facing the window. I turn the flowers toward the living room to enjoy. Then flowers buds appear on the section facing the window. Over and over. Gently twist off spent blooms.

I fertilized it again last month (half-strength.)

It's a succulent, so it doesn't need heavy watering. I water it deeply every two weeks, until water comes out the hole in the bottom of the pot.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have had Christmas cacti a few times, I loved having them. Current house does not have good light for plants, and the darn cats.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:751378
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.