Agnostic.com

9 1

Why in these groups one never finds people from NY, NJ....even from CT?

I don't know if there is an unwritten rule among the Agnostic / Atheists of this region...but although there are many non-believers around (I always encounter one or two a week) they don't seem interested in joining a group.

DUCHESSA 8 Dec 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Here....Upstate New York

I'm from ct. And hoping to find real friends .

Connecticut Valley Atheist Meetup, South Windsor

The Humanist Association of Connecticut, New Haven

Atheist Humanist Society of Connecticut and Rhode Island, Norwich

Originally from NY myself.

I'm not sure what you're asking here. Are you saying that there are no atheists or agnostics in New York or New Jersey? Cause here I am. I live in New York, work in New Jersey... and know people in both states. But nobody from Connecticut though. They all commute to the City.

My words: """" but although there are many non-believers around (I always encounter one or two a week) they don't seem interested in joining a group."""" IAW, the A/A from the states I mentioned RARELY form groups. When I visited Huntsville, Alabama...I share with their group....they were over 50 people at the coffee shop.

I think I understand though. In NY and NJ, just based on sheer population you're likely to run into a non-theist just about anywhere. And many of those who do have some form of "spirituality" tend to be far more open-minded about what they believe.

Alabama on the other hand, or any state in the South, doesn't have that. Almost everyone there is wrapped up in some sort of religion, and usually extreme at that, making it very difficult, and lonely for non-theists. It's safer for them to go online and seek out others, and they're more likely to meet others.

I used to belong to Westchester Atheists....The group was based in Chappaqua...it was a greatone but its original leader moved to California few years ago...and recently died. Other group (spin off) was created but some members were a little too arrogant and I left.

Lucky you, I live on a small island and there are two of us.
A couple of years ago I found out that on this island of 2,400 (permanent) residents there were 4 couples that were members of Freedom From Religion Foundation.

Please, tell me where are you located; there are many A/A groups around USA and I can find out for you. I wish we had more groups in NY.

As a matter of fact I'm from Brooklyn

Well, better than nothing...LOL

Northern New York here. Or, as some call it, southern Canada.

When I get time, I'll try to make some posts with stats so we can see what % of cities have our members.

Admin Level 9 Dec 10, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7515
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.