Agnostic.com

2 1

LINK How “Democracy Is Losing the Propaganda War” -- The Atlantic

Applebaum reports that autocratic regimes are making common cause with MAGA Republicans to undermine liberalism and freedom around the world.

May 6, 2024, 8:18 AM ET

For The Atlantic’s June cover story, “Democracy Is Losing the Propaganda War,” staff writer Anne Applebaum reports on how autocrats in China, Russia, and other places around the world are now making common cause with MAGA Republicans to discredit liberalism and freedom everywhere. Applebaum’s story is adapted from her forthcoming book, Autocracy Inc. (publishing July 23), and draws from her exceptional reporting for The Atlantic.

Even in authoritarian states where surveillance is almost total, Applebaum reports, “the experience of tyranny and injustice can radicalize people. Anger at arbitrary power will always lead someone to start thinking about another system, a better way to run society.” This has resulted in autocratic regimes slowly turning their repressive mechanisms outward, into the democratic world. Applebaum writes: “If people are naturally drawn to the image of human rights, to the language of democracy, to the dream of freedom, then those concepts have to be poisoned. That requires more than surveillance, more than close observation of the population, more than a political system that defends against liberal ideas. It also requires an offensive plan: a narrative that damages both the idea of democracy everywhere in the world and the tools to deliver it.”

To accomplish this, Applebaum reports, autocracies are now making systematic efforts to influence both popular and elite audiences, including via the use of state-controlled media—most notably China’s Xinhua news agency and Russia’s RT, but also Venezuela’s Telesur network and Iran’s Press TV, along with numerous others—to create stories, slogans, memes, and narratives promoting the worldview of the autocracies. These, in turn, are repeated and amplified in other countries, translated into multiple languages, and reshaped for local markets around the world.

When these stories make their way to the U.S., Applebaum reports, “a part of the American political spectrum is not merely a passive recipient of the combined authoritarian narratives that come from Russia, China, and their ilk, but an active participant in creating and spreading them. Like the leaders of those countries, the American MAGA right also wants Americans to believe that their democracy is degenerate, their elections illegitimate, their civilization dying. The MAGA movement’s leaders also have an interest in pumping nihilism and cynicism into the brains of their fellow citizens, and in convincing them that nothing they see is true. Their goals are so similar that it is hard to distinguish between the online American alt-right and its foreign amplifiers.” The State Department has in the past decade created a division to preemptively combat (or “prebunk&rdquo😉 foreign disinformation operations. But no such agency exists to combat the spread of Russian and Chinese propaganda within the United States.

“One could call this a secret authoritarian ‘plot’ to preserve the ability to spread antidemocratic conspiracy theories, except that it’s not a secret. It’s all visible, right on the surface,” Applebaum writes. “Russia, China, and sometimes other state actors—Venezuela, Iran, Hungary—work with Americans to discredit democracy, to undermine the credibility of democratic leaders, to mock the rule of law. They do so with the goal of electing Trump, whose second presidency would damage the image of democracy around the world, as well as the stability of democracy in America, even further.”

“Democracy Is Losing the Propaganda War” was published today in The Atlantic. Please reach out with any questions or requests: press@theatlantic.com.

snytiger6 9 May 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There's people that actually believe this twaddle. The US has no problem whatsoever arming and supporting hideous autocracies. The Gulf States and Saudi Arabia make Iran look like a peaceful democracy in comparison. And the US has no problem overturning overturning democracies to install their preferred regime. And you might also note the US only recognizes elections when their preferred candidate wins, and of course only obeys international law when it's in its interest to do so. But yeah, Washington is the face of democracy. Snort. Americans are the most propagandized people on Earth, articles like this are why.

The founders designed the structure of the government to support the making of profit. However, they failed to realize that not limiting or regulating profit would not end well. We have reached the point where the seeking of unlimited profits undermines the well being of communities and countries.

Agree. I despise what seems to be happening in many places. I really hate how patriotism has been co-opted to equate with support of nationalism and autocracy. I used to be proudly patriotic to the U.S., my country, not for her history but for the ideals supposedly behind her. Equality, merrit, exceptionalism, etc. At the same time I understood that she almost never lived up to them and had a "problematic" history (to say it lightly). I was still always proud of the ideals behind her. But now it's all been twisted. And I know it should not be so, but now a big pickup with an American flag announces an identity of intolerance and willingness to support authoritarian views. Not sure how we got here exactly but I feel it has more to do with increasing inequality and the ease with which people accept a familiar scapegoat. The more the divide between the rich and poor grows, the oportunities for the poor to become educated dimish. Just look at the huge increases in tuition over the past 20+ years (https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/05/18/cost-of-college-the-year-you-were-born/39479153/). Even counting for inflation it's still a huge increase. So the poor stay uneducated and susceptible to the belief in scapegoats and the pronouncements of demagogues because they don't learn history. Another reason I see is that the success of a democracy is dependent upon a reasoning public that votes in their own self interest. Most authoritarians know that people vote based on their emotions and their identity. Authoritarians understand "groupthink" and use it to their advantage. I remember Schoolhouse Rock and "The Great American Melting Pot" (https://youtu.be/IQ28jC6zG9k?si=cvgVDUvBFgqfWidh). That would never get airtime today - people would cry "wokeness!" and business would cave. And that was the America I used to be patriotic about.

Very true. The Trumpers clearly vote for and support him and other Repubs, based on emotion and identity, which are both closely connected to the culture war issues, instead of their own economic self interest, but part of that is also the fault of the Dem Party, for becoming so corporatist, that they offer these people no real economic alternative or difference, from Trump and the Repubs. So I still say, that the corporatist, DLC Dem Party leaders and pols, paved the way for Trump to come along and snatch the white working class voters away from the Dem Party. They knew that would happen, but they didn't really care if it happened, because the corporate campaign money was all that mattered to them.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:755301
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.