Agnostic.com

40 5

What atheist music do you listen to?

I've heard of a lot of Christian music groups but I have only heard of a few atheist or agnostic groups or musicians. What are some of your favorite atheist musicians or songs to listen to?

pan_heathen97 7 May 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

40 comments (26 - 40)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What's athiest music?

Lamb of God.

Billy Joel is an atheist.

His song, "Only The Good Die Young" caused quite a stir with the Catholic Church when it came out. I forget where he did a concert, but they asked him to not perform it. He played it twice.

I think he also said it wasn't moving on the music charts.....until the Catholic Church brought attention to it.....then it shot up the charts.

This is part of an interview on the Howard Stern Show. From 32:10 to about 33:08, Billy says he's an atheist.

Well, I listen to all music, I try and think that all musicians have something to contribute in life. Dark Music, Light Music, Instrumental music, all kinds of music I think music is for humans, and it aids in the enjoyment of life to the fullest. So I do listen to all music, My favorites are Led Zeppelin and Queen. But when it comes to music I am one of the most diverse people because I listen to all of it... I think music soothes the savage beast.

Baba Brinkman and Greydon Square are my 2 favorites. Atheist hip hop.

Punk

I also have a lot of Pagan music.
an agnostic pagan band

There are a bunch of atheist rappers coming out but the best one I've heard is Greydon Square. He was the first as far as I know. After leaving the military and serving in Iraq he went to college as a.physics major when he started producing his atheist rap albums. His collaboration with other rappers has caused it to spread. He is largly ignored by the mainstream atheist community because rap is considered unacceptable by the older generations that largly control the organized atheist .

Lead me lord.

Alien Abduction , music for Cryo chamber,

Don’t know if it’s considered atheist music, but tally hall has some good songs 🙂

Conor Obert's early work in his band Bright Eyes has a lot of jabs at religion, specifically catholicism in which he was raised, some my of my favorite lyrics which fall under this category are..

"so i hold my tongue, forget the song, tie my shoe and start walking off
and try to just keep moving on, with my broken heart and my absent God
i have no faith, but it is all i want, to be loved and believe in my soul"

"there is no right way or wrong way, you just have to live
and so i do what i do, and at least i exist
what could mean more than this?"

"we must memorize nine numbers and deny we have a soul"

"The drunk kids
The catholics
They're all about the same
They're waiting for something
Hoping to be saved"

"On the way home I held your camera like a bible
Wishing so bad that it held some kind of truth"

"The Bible's blind, the Torah's deaf, the Qu'ran is mute
If you burned them all together, you'd get close to the truth"

"Cause everything it must belong somewhere
They locked the Devil in the basement, threw God up into the air"

"There is a man holding a megaphone
So he must have been the voice of God
The bystanders claimed they saw angels
Flying up and down the block
Well, they must have been attached to wires
I saw one laying in the lawn with a broken arm"

"Fall asleep reading science fiction
I wanna fly in your silver ship
Let Jesus hang and Buddha sit"

These are just a few. There are so many more!

My favorite music is bebop. Although based on the blues or spiritual, I don't see it as religious.

Is there atheist music ? I listen to all sorts from 60s to contemporary modern and can't put my finger on any of it being atheistic or secular.

Wait. Do you mean music produced by atheists, or literally atheist music? Cause that shit would really be a downer.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:75672
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.