Agnostic.com

56 10

Telling children Santa Claus is real? Are you against it or for it?

This is one that I had to stop and really think about. I mean even though Santa Claus and things like the tooth fairy doesn’t exist, I don’t see much harm in telling kids as young as 3 or 4 that he’s real to brighten up their childhood holidays and keep the holidays fun and innocent. Only difference between things like Santa Claus is they eventually grow to understand he’s not real, but appreciate the innocence and fun of their childhood, unlike religion where children are taught at an early age that they are evil and is deserving of Hell Fire if they don’t believe in Jesus Christ because he suffered for them even though they had nothing to do with such a time that long ago then they grow into adulthood believing in such things and are scarred from the teachings of religion and Hell. What is your thoughts about this subject?

EmeraldJewel 7 May 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

56 comments (51 - 56)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Told them he was not real, just some people like to pretend - about a lot of things.

I taught my children that Santa is part of Christmas magic & Christmas was a time of celebration, giving & helping others. We tended to adhere to a pretty pagan celebration, incorporating green, red, gold & silver. My kids learned about history around winter equinox celebrations & Christmas history & celebrations around the world. We always did our best to donate to others in need, donste food boxes to the local pantry & back cookies to take into the V.A. hospital when my dad would do his Christmas rounds (my father was a WWII vet). I mever told them Santa is real & they knew Santa did not bring free gifts. My sons are in tbeir 30s now & save their stockings for last on Christmas morning.

I think kids figure it out on their own. I know I did. However, my mom used to say when you stop believing in Santa is when he stops brining presents. Although my parents my dead, I spend Xmas with my sister..........and I still get a stocking filled with goodies when I wake up!

Imagination needs fuel but reality must come sooner rather than later

Kids are all about fantasy. Listen to, and watch, them play. We read them stories about "Frog and Toad," "Mouse Tales," and soon watch the "Wizard of Oz."

Prepare them for other kids telling them the truth by asking them, regularly, "Can frogs talk like people?" "How does santa get in our house without a chimney?" They will get the picture.

Luckily i have rarely been around religionists. But i do talk to my great-grand kids about how not everyone believes in invisible friends.

I let my kids believe in Santa Claus. He was considered a religious deity obviously and eventually all grow to realise it's just a story. In this I see no true harm. But its merely my take on it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:75977
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.