Agnostic.com

1 0

LINK Where Biden and Trump stand on key 2024 issues heading into the 1st debate -- ABC News

Hot-button topics include inflation, immigration, abortion access and democracy.

ByABC NEWS
June 27, 2024

The presidential debate on Thursday will showcase Joe Biden and Donald Trump going toe-to-toe on policy for the first time this election cycle.

The matchup is the only time a sitting president has squared off with a former president, meaning each candidate will have a record to defend and a possible second-term strategy to lay out to the American people.

Hot-button topics all but certain to be discussed include immigration, the economy, reproductive rights and democracy.

Here is a closer look at where Biden and Trump stand on key election-year issues, as reflected and ranked in a recent ABC News/Ipsos poll.

Cost of living

Inflation has consistently polled as a top issue for voters, leaving both candidates eager to draw favorable contrasts at the debate.

On the campaign trail, Trump has frequently criticized Biden for the nation's yearslong bout of elevated inflation. Consumer prices have climbed roughly 20% over the three-plus years since Biden took office, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics data show. "Inflation has killed our economy," Trump said at a rally in Racine, Wisconsin, last week. "It's a nation buster."

For his part, Biden has acknowledged that price increases remain too high but he has touted significant progress in bringing inflation down well below its peak. He has also noted that wage increases are outpacing inflation, leaving Americans with greater spending power despite the high prices.

On policy, Trump has targeted Biden over environmental regulations such as limits placed on some oil and gas drilling, though last year the U.S. produced more oil than any year in its history, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

Biden, by contrast, has promoted proposals that seek to alleviate stubborn prices for goods such as housing and prescription drugs. He has portrayed Trump's proposed tax cuts and tariffs as policies that would raise prices and benefit the wealthy.

"They're fighting for billionaires on Park Avenue -- I'm fighting for families like the ones I grew up with in Scranton," Biden said in a statement earlier this month.

--ABC News' Max Zhan

snytiger6 9 June 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You know, I don't care!! There is nothing Trump could say that 1) I would believe. 2) That could persuade me that he would not turn the country into either a fascist dictatorship or a Russian style oligarchy. There is no other issues I am interested in. If Biden wins and doesn't get a Senate and Congressional majority to go with, it will be a do-nothing Congress for another two years. My real fear is that the election will be mired in Republican chaos, voting stations being blocked in Democratic districts by MAGA thugs, refusals to validate counts, and whatever else they can come up with. That scares me.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:759837
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.