Agnostic.com

7 1

Can there be a God in the new physics?

Quantum interconnectedness raises all kinds of interesting problems. The sheer vastness of the Universe--just OUR universe--begs the question: how big would this God have to be? Certainly much too vast to be personally concerned with me! So what would be the point of a personal belief in such a God? And how do we account for good, and love, and karma? I asked a friend once, "I want to be grateful to somebody. I want somebody to pray to." She answered, "I pray to the mystery and the mystery answers back." I love that answer. I'm attracted to the Zen ideas of praying to the universe and being good to other people just because we belong to the human family. What do you think? Who are you grateful to when you have a grandbaby, or you get a job just as your unemployment runs out?

nelsoneddy 2 Dec 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't pray to anything, ever. What you are describing is yet another false mysticism.

To be a god as most people define one includes worship , the good/bad idea, and some type of ritual. I do not see any of these things but I am very grateful of having been created. I try my best to enjoy the fruits of life. I can not conceive of an all powerful and perfect being creating some of the humans who have been born with terrible conditions nor can I accept the premise they suffer on earth to be with god for eternity.I have no desire to pray but I do wonder and enjoy the beauty of our universe and despise the terrible things greed does to our environment.

Life is a gift ,who from we don't know for sure,but we can thank whatever it was that did create us.Consciousness is worth having,yes there are ups and downs,but overall we 'd take these rather have not experienced life on the whole.

Life is what you make it.

l

Life is a cycle I’m, for the most part, glad to have had an opportunity to experience. In my own way, I’ve thanked my creators, my parents. And, it pleases them to know I’m content. Simple observation of non-sentient life, apparently enjoying its existence, leaves me to question, how do they ‘give thanks’ … leading to, then how and why should we?

It appears the more you learn about any subject, the less you have in common with others regarding the same. Thus, having paid attention to the processes of life, attempting to explain what you’ve learned in terms simple enough for those even willing to listen is often impossible. Those having replaced their curiosity with religion cannot come close to understanding the richness of life, no matter how hard they pray ~

Varn Level 8 Dec 11, 2017

I don't pray. Karma is BS.

Really short answer to a big question. No. The more science advances, the more it is impossible to ascribe anything but random chance to Quantum effects, and classic physics rules to macro effects. As with Napoleon's astromomer (not astrologer), "there is no need for that hypothesis". Rejoice, we are figuring it out.

The astophysicist Fred Hoyle suggested some type of 'God' or Supreme Intelligence in his book "The Intelligent Universe"
But Hoyle's 'God' certainly isn't a personal one.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7652
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.