Agnostic.com

37 6

Should the Boy Scouts be both for boy and girls?

• 58 votes
  • 28 votes
Bazinga 4 May 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

37 comments (26 - 37)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I find it very interesting if all those in pro of girls invading the boys scouts will allow boys to compete in girls sports. And allow men to compete in the female categories in all athletics events and why not.... the records produced to be recognized as valids... Why Not? It is about time. Isn't that the total honest equality you are whinning about?

Yes, that too

You want to put boys and girls together at the age where hormones are raging and birth control is an after thought?

Those in favor never said to be smart.

As an eagle scout I have to say no. Make a new organization for it. The problem is that we could see this be detrimental to the current activities that are performed, not because that girls can now camp etc, but because of their parents. I mean it works in europe, canada, etc. but those organizations are not about what BSA is trying to achieve. It's not about camping or survival skills like other organizations, it's about building leadership skills to become a productive member of society. So we might see a reform of how BSA works b/c of parental involvement, potentially damaging what little is left of BSA. We already see this nonsense going on, to the point where a lot of troops are eagle scout mills, just giving it out to everyone before they even get to high school.

On the other hand it would allow the socially awkward in BSA (so like most of them, including me 🙂 ) have more social interaction with opposite gender. Though I've heard the major push for this is so women can get a better starting rank in the Military, which is true if you achieve eagle scout. That's not a bad reason to do it.

"Make a new organization for it" -- They already HAVE an organization, it's called GIRL scouts!!!

@MichaelCole2 for girls+boys. And girl scouts is a joke compared to bsa which is why women want to join

When I got my Eagle in 1963, it wasn't an easy thing to do you really had to work at it. I still have pride in the fact that I did it. Sad to hear that it's easy now.

If it does ever end up truly being inclusive they should change the name to just Scouts or American Scouts ect. But at the same time i think there should be 3 options Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts and "Scouts" for co-ed. Either way i support positive change.

They're only being inclusive because they lost a lot of super-religious members when they decided to ease their ban on homosexuals. They figure they can vacuum up some girls/women to compensate. It's a step in the right direction (inclusiveness) but it comes from a selfish motivation, sadly

Other countries have for years, I was at an international jamboree (early 2000s)and there were girls then. Sea Scouts and Explorers also have had women for many years (over 16 I think). I was a leader for years in a fairly liberal suburban scout pack and troop. We had lots of sisters accompany us on outings and mostly ignored the gay and religious stuff. The bureaucracy has to catch up.

It's not actually changing that much. Beginning in June, Cub Scouts will have both all boy or all girl dens. Beginning in February, Boy Scouts (which will be called Scouts BSA) will have both all boy or all girl troops. Everything else is as it was.

vita Level 7 May 8, 2018

So you saying Brownies will dissapear?

Brownies are part of Girl Scouts, a separate organization. I'll be curious to see if 1) people get bent because Girl Scouts still isn't unisex and 2) if Girl Scouts will become less popular and eventually fade away because everyone will be in Boy Scouts.

@vita Does Girls Scouts push the religous crap like BSA does?

@bingst I wasn't aware (but am not surprised) that BSA pushes religion. In my limited exposure to Girl Scouts (was a member briefly as a child), I don't recall religion being part of it, but it could've been. Also, my sister was a troop leader. There was definitely no religion in her troop. Her troop was fun. She had them earn their (non-sanctioned) Zombie Survival badges.

@vita haha

Yes, there should be a single organization for all kids, but the boy scouts screwed up by NOT consulting the girl scouts. The boy scouts bought themselves a lot of trouble by acting as though they were all that mattered. Whether the girl scouts offer something relevant or not is not the issue; the boy scouts don't get to push everyone off the playing field in order to hog the limelight.

First word: Boy If you want boy and girls scouts then create a group called boy and girl scouts. Don't destroy the very thing that boy scouts are designed to achieve, which is a son and father experience.

Is it me or there are better issues to be concerned bout?

separating the sexes has been shown to have positive effects

Girl Scouts is not the female equivalent of Boy Scouts. For girls who are interested in the outdoors, Girl Scouts does not provide the same opportunities for learning and adventure that Boy Scouts does.

seryn Level 3 June 3, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:76677
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.