Agnostic.com

21 9

I'm curious if there are any black people on this site?

I think Africans and African Americans are highly religious as compared to any other race. Hence why we are the least progressive. The Middle East also religious which is why war, poverty hatred for one another never ends. This stupid idea that someone will save you from your struggles is toxic. So religion actually does the opposite of what it claims.

Tendix 5 May 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You may have meant this but I think religious penetration correlates to economic status rather than race. Unfortunately African and African American communities have had little opportunity in that arena. Poor white families you'll find also have high amounts of religious influence.

Regarding your comment on the toxicity of religion, 100%. I actually hate it when someone fights to accomplish something and gives credit to god. It detracts from their accomplishment as if without god on their side what they've done is not repeatable by others.

Actually 83% of African Americans are protestant. Whites are only 53% but that racial religious landscape survey was done in 2014. In Africa over 90% so race has everything to do with it. The wealthiest blacks are still religious.

Pretty sure there are. I'm a pasty white girl of German descent so I can't relate. But I'm a good listener!

Also, I live in MN, which is pretty white even without the snow AND I'm in a city that only has about 55,000 people. My local atheist group does have one "token" black guy. He's originally from Ethiopia and grew up very religious. I love following his discussions on Facebook because he knows the bible inside and out! It's funny watching religious people get called out when they get bible passages wrong.

I agree with all of your comments. And yes, I have seen several profiles here belonging to Black persons. =]

Not enough IMO.

Yep, we have a few 🙂

Jnei Level 8 May 9, 2018

I've only been a member a month or so, but I have seen several members who are!

"Race" is so look outdated. DNA is the same for all.

I get into arguments trying to explain this simple fact to people. Its maddening.

I have said this many times and I'll say it again, here we are nothing but our own thoughts.... They don't have race, religion not even gender or sex orientation. We all can pretend to be whatever combination comes to mind.... I choose to be Nobody, I don't have skin color, I don't believe in anything and I can be whatever you want me to be.

You can be whatever I want You to be? Wow I usually have to pay good money for that kind of thing! 😉

I have no way of knowing but it seems unlikely to me that 'race' is a determinate in ones susceptibility to religion. I would have thought lack of education and access to resources more likely candidates

@JimmyM my point is, does it really matter if I am white, black or pink? (In this virtual context)

@IamNobody sorry for my little jest.
I understand your point but i think it does matter even in the online world. This forum is a place where folk discuss ideas. Who we are and the experiences we've had are very important to those ideas. Ergo.....

@JimmyM nothing to be sorry about... That actually proves my point. You tried to push my buttons by hoping you would make me your bitch and yet, I stand correct. I am an idea, a virtual entity, I don't really exist. You can pay for my services if you really really really want to send money but what do you think are going to get? Ok, within the same lines, you pay me for sexual services (you brought this up, I didn't) an the only thing I can do is talk dirty. Does it matter if I am of any particular race or gender? So no worries, I didn't take it as a little jest, to me it was more like you didn't really understand what I was talking about. It seems that you do now. Cheers dude.

@JimmyM That was funny. 🙂

It's not so much "Africans" as "people in poverty". Affluence is usually a great antidote to religious dogma, except in certain political animals who pay it lip service for the voting power it returns.
The church in Mediaeval times (bloody spelling checker won't accept that spelling - but I know better!) used poverty to great gain!
I'm an African, in that I am at least the third generation of my family to be born in Africa - although my skin colour (Shut-up spelling checker, I'm writing in English, not American!) is a sort of pinky brown, erroneously referred to as "White".

Africans and people in poverty are sort of synonymous, are they not? There are many affluent, african american zealots as well. Affluence does not necessarily have anything to do with intelligence in the scientific sense, anyhow.

So I will have to disagree here.

@BryanLV You mean Pakistanis, Bangladeshis, Indians, Chinese, Malays, Albanians, Ecuadorians, etc are not also "people in poverty"?
Don't single out Africans, please.

@Petter Africans would be among those disproportionately affected by religion and poverty. We are speaking about a specific group. Not singling out. You are attempting to move the goal post and in doing so, are off point.

@BryanLV OK. but your comments apply equally well to religiously brainwashed Pakistanis, to mention just one other group.

I share the same observation. where are you from?

I've met quite a few!

Of course.

Historically there are a number of black who were atheists, Butterfly McQueen comes to mind. she is ha heroen of mine. Stayed a hard core atheist all of her life.

When you say a number, you mean like less than 10%. Which is what she is getting at. You named one black person, and a few in a group, out of millions of Africans and African Americans.

Off the top of my head....I thought of Rev. Martin Luther King.....now that was a pretty progressive movement. The movement is reviving again as the Poor People"s Campaign. They began with Moral Mondays.

On FB I have several atheist African friends in Liberia who are interesting.

83% of African Americans identify as protestant. In Africa it's over 90%. Religion is why my race is the least progressive in the world. Sadly economic status has nothing to do with it. There is such a huge gap with other races.
There maybe some black people on this site but there are definitely more whites. I find that sad.

Source:

I'm wondering if there's any African american ladies that would be interested in a white guy that believes in living a simple quiet responsible life that is retired

Im going to have to agree here.

Then they add popular culture and colloquialism on top of it and the stupidity just explodes.

Dumb shit like, "I know god got me." .... Ensues and its just all downhill from there.

So far, It looks like you may be the only person of color. You had interesting comments about religiosity in persons of color, but I think that might be more related to education and prosperity than to skin color. I think you are correct in thinking that strong religious beliefs promot conflict rather than peace.

Me again, I think I misspoke concerning other persons of color on this web site. There are no boubt

Me again, I think I misspoke concerning persons of color on this website I guess there are many.

There is a correlation between skin color, level of wealth and education and religiosity. I do not think she is saying that people with darkly pigmented skin are somehow more predisposed to lower intelligence, and thus being religious.

She seems to be saying that there simply are more per capita, with all actual factors taken into account. Africans and African Americans identify as religious; specifically and predominately christian. Many of the arguments here to the contrary seem to be pointing to causation, and not actuality.

Am African and qm on this site, not regularly though

We are here and have plenty of reasons as to why!

I've seen some. Perhaps @Admin will add an option to search profiles by ethnicity.

I considered it but would first need to ask everyone about their race and as a progressive site, it's a bit of an anachronism.

@Admin Yeah, I fi9gred that was the way the site would go.

I happen to be a white guy who finds (thin) Asian guys to be the most physically attractive, so even though I'd personally benefit from an ethnic filter in the "Meet" section, I have to aqgree with your decision to keep the site as more progressive, where the only race people think of is the just all one human race. It would be a better world if more people thought that way.

We had an African american professor come and speak at our local atheist group and this is one of the things he researches. I'll have to look up his name but he did say that blacks do tend to be more religious.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:77116
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.