Agnostic.com

21 9

GOT fans out there?

Just out of curiosity are there any Game of Thrown and/or Song of Ice and Fire fans out there? And if so do you like the Books better or the HBO TV show or do you like both?

LibrePenseur 7 May 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, I LOVE the show! So sad that it's ending next year.

I agree but I think it's time. HBO has said that they are looking at 5 scripts for spinoffs

I like the TV series better. The books got a bit tedious. And we're beyond the books now, so...

Deb57 Level 8 May 10, 2018

Yeeesss! Haven't read the books. I'm going to the GoT concert in Seattle in Sept. I went last year and it was nerdy and amazing. They play music from the show with a live orchestra and had screens with scenes from the show. Even real fire coming out of the screens when the dragons came!

Remi Level 7 May 11, 2018

That is so cool. Two years ago now one of the movie theaters out here ran two episodes and it was great. The shows production is so good that it works on the big screen

I'm so into it. The world building is just incredible with this series (both books and show) and there is always more to discuss and speculate about.

Absolutely agree. George RR Martin does a fantastic job and making his world seem real. Almost like reading history in some parts. It was the TV show that got me reading the series. And now I'm desperately waiting on that sixth book Winds of Winter

@LibrePenseur Sadly, it appears we will have to keep waiting. Damn, I can practically hear his arteries hardening from where I sit. He better pick up the pace.

@seaspot_run LOL I know right. Its been seven years from the time of the last book

i haven't read the books. my son did, so he can fill in the blanks for me. but i love the show.

It was the TV show that got me reading the books.

I love the series, mostly for the excellent actors they've got (broke my heart when they killed off Charles Dance). Do no like GRRM as a writer at all. Tried to read the first book but didn't get past chapter 1 before I just couldn't take any more. Hack.

I work weekdays in a small town. I have a place because I couldn't put up with the daily commute madness. The only problem that I learned the hard way is that after work I am bored to dead and my small apartment I call "my cell of punishment in solitary"... Holly crap, if I was younger then I would be working 15 hours a day but, I cannot work tirelessly anymore. Sooo, out of desperation I have just bought Game of Thrones DVD seasons 1 & 2. It's growing on me, I am just getting started going towards episode 7. So far, the dwarf is an interesting character, his sarcasm and intelligence resonates with me..... And since Alzheimer is now trying to become my friend, you can tell me who is going to kill who or what not, I won't remember anyway ??? (of course I am joking but seriously I don't care for spoilers, I'll keep watching with the same intensity. At least now I have something to look up to after work )

Yes, from the start!

I usually won't watch something until I've read the books. Don't want to spoil the books. With GOT, I refuse to read the books until the TV series concludes. Even though the series is past the books by now ... not to mention, if George R.R. Martin doesn't get cracking, someone else will have to finish writing the series based on his notes ... if his estate even permits that.

vita Level 7 May 12, 2018

Both. Which is unlike me as I'm a book purist. But I thought the series was very well done...with the exception of now moving away from the original story line. They did the same thing with True Blood and that series also suffered because of it....those books were quite intertaining.

I love the books as well and the series. I understand why didn't follow all of the storylines from the books it would have make the series longer (not that I would have mined} and it would have added a lot of new characters. I agree about True Blood, the writers seem to have gotten lazy and the last two seasons sucked.

Love the shows, but haven't seen Series 7 yet...it's not on the Sky Box sets, have to wait for them to rerun it.Haven't read the books, I hear the plots go their own ways and so will probably wait until I've seen series 8 before I do.

I’ve been threatening to read it forever. I think it’s time!! (Was nuts about the HBO series!)

I started watching the TV show first and that got me to read the books. Now I'm in limbo waiting on the 6th boo. LOL

Apparently there are the original book and then some set that follows the story lines in the series. I recommend the originals.

I've never seen it before.

The books are definitely better, but that’s not to the show isn’t also great. The show merges or axes storylines due to time constraints. I’ve revisited the books many times, but never the show.

Marz Level 7 May 11, 2018

I agree but I also understand they did what they did in the series because they didn't have Georgia's 6th book to work off and they didn't want to go in more directions than what they already had. By introducing other characters that are in the book that are in the series

Too dark. I tried for awhile but bailed.

Huge fan here, it kills me though not having time to read the books

Proto Level 6 May 11, 2018

I've read the books and watched the show. I enjoy both, but the show's dialogue had more depth when it was still somewhat based in the book's storyline. Also, without the books as a guide, I feel like people aren't dying at a George R.R. Martin pace. He probably would have let Jamie die, by now, or killed Podrick and Grey Worm.

He better not kill my darling Podrick. He better not.

Unfortunately the TV series has outpaced the books as you know. And I understand the deviations between the two I love them both personally. The depth of characters is what I find the most intriguing. They're not one-dimensional good or bad he writes as does the TV series making them into real people who are good and bad morally. He may kill Jamie off in the books but at least he's alive in the TV series as is Podrick. But of course in the books they're in different places than where they are in the TV series.

When is Season 8 coming out?

Not till next April ?

I'm caught up on the series (TV) and very slowly reading the books on my Nook. I like both. The deviations from the book in the series are interesting (Theon/Reek, for example are separate characters in the book).

I found that the first 3 Seasons or so are fairly close to the books but then after that it deviates quite a bit. And I understand the artistic choices they had to make such as introducing all the new characters that they would have had to introduce. It was complicated enough just as a TV series Without adding all the other characters and plot lines. But I think you're going to love the books as you read them too.

We have a GOT group here

gater Level 7 May 10, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:78361
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.