Agnostic.com

6 2

LINK Alcohol Is A Major Risk Factor For Breast Cancer. Why Don't More Women Know? - Here & Now (Public radio)

Alcohol is a carcinogen. I had never heard this before.

bingst 8 May 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I never have either.

My news says that drinking alcohol lets me live 20 years longer. I'll stick with my news.

Is that Deutsche Welle?
[dw.com]

@Petter Nee, das war Facebook. The study was sponsored by Smirnoff, I think.

@Spinliesel Ah! Slightly flawed sponsorship that. Wonder if I can persuade a maker of sex toys to sponsor a study of how sex combined with bedroom antics makes you live longer? (I wish!!)

@Petter Good luck with that!

Unfortunately, very many things are carcinogens - eventually. There's the crux of the matter, that word "eventually"
Bodies go wrong, dividing cells lose vital DNA links, skin loses its depth and elasticity and so on. In the end, we die; some sooner than others.
Technically, in nature, once we are about 15 years beyond the age of being reliably capable of producing healthy children, we are garbage. Of course, I strongly object to that, as do all (probably) humans.
Wine is an interesting study in conflicts. A small amount of red wine can reduce the risk of heart disease - a greater "killer" than cancer. But a large amount is destructive. (Marihuana and its effect on nervous tissue is another "conflict" study. Large amounts definitely affect brain cells deleteriously, yet small amounts stimulate. Caffeine?)
The media do tend to "hype" things - it's good for circulation - so I would query that above headline's wording "Major"? Major compared to what? Alcohol is a major risk factor in drowning. More drunk people drown by falling into canals than sober ones.

Very good points.

Mediterranean Diet, beloved of nutritiionists & the AMA, recommends Aglass of red wine once or twice a day

Not twice - and the size of glass is important!

@Petter inam a teetotaler because i never cared for either the taste or the effect of any alcohol. However, i remember in my 40's developing breast lumps and being sternly warned to stop All coffee. Now that has been disproved and in fact 2-3 cups a day is recommended. Ho hum more hysteria...in a year it will be, " nevermind"

Sometimes the relief from pain now is worth the potential later risk.

I've been seeing this on British news channel SkyNews.

I don't drink now, but 15 years ago, I used to drink half a martini glass of fine aged wine in the evenings, for the pleasurable taste, and the warm, cozy buzz.

I stopped when suddenly a deep wrinkle started appearing on my face, running from my eye to mouth every time I did this. When I skipped the wine, the wrinkle vanished, reappearing if I even had a TASTE of the wine.

I thought it was unfair, but I gave away my newly purchased stash of expensive Biltmore Estate fine wine, aged for two years in oak barrels, to my ex, who was ecstatically grateful.

I've been noticing in recent years that drinkers seem to look older than non-drinkers.

Now you tell me! It's 76 years too late to preserve my baby-face!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:78456
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.