Agnostic.com

7 4

LINK Major depression on the rise among everyone, new data shows

This is troubling, no pun intended. And it doesn't seem to be b/c of better diagnostic tools. Anomie, disconnection (except from your tech), lack of community, the sense that life is pressured and chaotic in general. (I would like to blame Spanky and his gang but this has been on this rise for the past 5 years, according to the article.)

BookDeath 8 May 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I point the finger at neoliberalism.

In Britain there's an epidemic of depression, suicide and anxiety following the Conservative government's deliberately cruel austerity cuts. People are turning up at A&E departments suffering mental trauma from anxiety and depression.

120,000 have already died, mostly the sick and disabled. A mini eugenics holocaust.

The Working Class is being squeezed, with more pressure being heaped on already over worked employees. The unemployed and sick are having their benefits cut or stopped. Previous welfare state protections have been destroyed leaving massive gaping holes in the safety net and British unions are the weakest in Europe.

I have never seen so many homeless people, yet the rich are getting richer.

The ruling class are crushing the working class.

There is not much hope left. This is why depression is rising.

[calumslist.org]

"neoliberalism" My understanding of being liberal is at its base "ultiitarian" greatest good for the greatest number.
And I concur with the assessment below, the destruction of safety nets, the working class being slaved to death, just not absorbing the terminology of "neo liberal". That to me in my rudimentary understanding, is contrarian.

@Qualia

Neoliberalism has a specific meaning. It's capitalism with gloves off. It's characterised mostly by publicly funded bodies being privatised and run for profit.

[anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk]

@Ellatynemouth thank you I will check that out. Oh didn't realize you were in the UK.... could be a different definition than over the pond. ..

It has always confused me that the doc says depression is a brain chemical thing, just like any other disease, but that it's on the rise because of stressful situations. Unless the stress causes the brain chemical thing. Okay, answered that for myself.

Our politicians don't want us to make the connection. And Big Pharma gets to make money.

Depression Delusion by Terry Lynch challenges the chemical imbalance myth.

Part of my yearly "physical" now is being asked:

1. Are you depressed?
  2. Are you lonely?
  3. Are you afraid?
    Government mandated according to my GP.

Huh. I have a yearly biometric for my insurance and they've never asked me that. They're just worried about smoking, obesity, and diabetes. They might be asking you because of your profession or past work experience?

@ghost_warlock
Usually asked right after I step off the scales.
🙂

@bigpawbullets "I'm afraid that if you put that I said I'm any of those on your form that my insurance will be more expensive, which will make me depressed because I'll have less money to spend hanging out with my friends, which will make me lonely"

@ghost_warlock
Twisted logic at it's best, my friend. I salute you.

Yes, today it's been on the news regarding a rise amongst University Students, I'll wager that they're counted due to the fact that they get relatively easy access to College/Uni counsellors though and that in fact all young people are equally represented.

To much technology and to little social life.

With the cost of education, housing, child and health care getting completely out of hand, we have created a very stressful society.

Interesting and sad.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:78597
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.