Agnostic.com

5 2

There are currently still SEVEN states (Maryland, Arkansas, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas) that prohibit atheists from holding office and one (Pennsylvania) that grants theists special favor in the same realm. These are unenforecable due in general to the the conflict with the First Amendment and Article VI of the U.S. Constitution and the 1961 U.S. Supreme Court decision (Torcaso v Watkins) in particular. In 2016 Pres. Obama signed H.R. 1150 to extend protection to atheists. (I suspect Spanky and his gang and unaware of this, else he would have undone this by now. Or perhaps he's just been too busy wreaking havoc elsehwhere.)
Given the current charged politcal climate and the fact that in the states that have these laws, attempts are STILL made to enforce them, do think we should actively be working to get them off the books? Or is this a waste of time and effort? And do you know of any politician/elected official/anyone running or holding office (anywhere) who admits to being atheist?

BookDeath 8 Dec 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Church and state should always be separated. It really is that simple. Although the US does seem particularly backward in this regard 😉 [said the guy from the UK]

Incredible this still goes on in a country claiming to be the "land of the free". It s a joke to us Europeans

That MUST be challenged in constitutional law before the Supreme Court.

The best way to overturn one of these laws is for an atheist to run and be elected and have that win challenged. Maybe you need to run.

I wrote this before reading @whoHearer 's attachment by David Silverman. Silverman started out in a similar way.

gearl Level 8 Dec 12, 2017

I live in SC, and I do recall an atheist running for governor some years ago. Herb Silverman ran as the 'Candidate Without a Prayer'. This link details his experience and is an interesting read: [hettingern.people.cofc.edu]

Thanks for sharing that. I live in the UK and although I do believe in a creator I am not religious nor am I Christian. I do find this kind of religious intolerence rather odd,we just do not see it here in the UK.I am aware of the stri=ong religious right in the USA but it is still a bit of a shock to see it in action.We are probably way ahead of the USA when it comes to requal rights for all. I would hope that the USA eventually catches up on this so nooen is discriminated against on grounds of not believing in a Supreme Being.

My brother is an atheist and lived in the States for a while .he was totallt amazed to be thrown out of the house of one of his friends parents because he told them he dod not believe in God .He still talks about that today and people here shake their head in disbelief. Of course I realise we Europens are regarded as Communist heathens ,which I do find hilarious

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7870
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.