Agnostic.com

10 7

Any Atheist Jews out there? Question for you.

Hi there, I recently took the term "culturally Jewish" for a test spin. Wondering if anyone here likes/uses that term. 30 years Atheist, 51 years Jewish! First time I've found a way to describe myself that feels right. So often I've been told 'You are SO Jewish!" and I never argue that, to me it's a positive. It defines me. My subversive humor, my pragmatism, my love for family and for learning. My daily use of Yiddish! These are my 'jewish' traits and I embrace them. Thoughts on the appropriateness or clarity of the term?

AmiSue 8 Dec 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I call myself a cultural Jew. After 10 years of Reform Sunday School, declared my non-belief in god-mainly due to Holocaust-and got shipped to Israel on Bible Study Tour. My mother and now-diseased father called me a belly Jew. I enjoy knishes,kreplach, chopped liver and latkes. Know a few Yiddish words. Both exs were not Jewish. My mother's side is Religious. Only see them at funerals and unveilings. It is a culture-not a religion to me. I am not a Zionist and Israel should stop with new settlements on West Bank. I don't light a menorah anymore or say prayers. No temple since 16.

I have one small and 1 violent problem with "cultural Judaism" observances. ...the menorah represents an alleged miracle of one lamps worth of oil lasting 8 days of burning....as mentioned here such annual lighting ritual or comic gives a pass to the building block of magical thinking = miracles happen. .....THE BRUTAL SEXUAL MUTILATION OF BABY BOYS Jewish or not leaves a religious global climate for Muslims to sexually mutilate millions of girls. ....all 3 "cultural practices" must be eradicated from humanity as was cannibalism

Having just sat around a lighted pine tree inside and passing out wrapped presents with my extended family while sipping egg nog, I feel a bit like I'm a cultural, suburban Christian.

I am from ecuador so i am ecuadorian
i am also latino. Also multiple ethnic background. I am atheist and i don't see any relation for the above. It is for you been jewish part of religion or inherited etc . So i think a definition of those might need to come first. We the atheist love music laughs sports love education human rights and if we can love animals rights. That makes us good people.

I consider myself culturally Jewish but not overly religious. I don't belong to any congregations around here (price, distance and suitability are issues) but I have a Menorah in my window and publicly identify as Jewish. It's totally appropriate and acceptable. Too bad you live so far away.... ????

I like it. I can see a culture separate from religiosity so it makes sense to me but I am not a Jew

I think it's fine. But apparently it isn't clear to some, judging by some of the comments. As far as I know, the Jewish culture, like the culture of any people, goes beyond the traditional religion, even when many tradtiitons of the culture are based on that religion.

Disclaimer I am not Jewish or an atheist.

I did once hear someone argue Jewishness passed through the female line not the male.Which if true sounds to me like the religion relies on a divine right given to women not men. So you probably cannot renounce it even if you wanted to since you are deemed to be born Jewish. It maybe can be a cultural thing if you want to be classed that way I see your reasoning...... I see no problem with it.

Most 'white' Jews originate from Russia and because of the 'frum' practice they are of very distinctive in appearance.
Judaism is a religion, not a race, which believes in the Abrahamic God, which is the same God worshipped by Muslims and Christians.

Jew is a religion. Jew: a member of the people and cultural community whose traditional religion is Judaism and who trace their origins through the ancient Hebrew people of Israel to Abraham. One can convert to Judaism or abandon Judaism. One cannot do that to race or ethnic group.

@AmiSue Because you love Danish or African culture doesn't make you Danish or African. Surely it is the same with Judaism? Judaism is a belief in a deity, the culture originates from where it was founded or the people that form the religion. You are Jewish because you believe in a God and the scriptures (TALMUD and TORAH). Therefore to be a Jew one can not be an Atheist. I come from a Christian family but I am an Atheist, so I am not a Christian.

The word THEIST means belief in a God and ATHEIST is Anti-theist or Atheist in its shortened form. The same as one can be Political or Apolitical. Semite is a race and therefore to be Anti-Semitic is to be against the Semite race. As the Semite race is of Arab extraction, and white Jews are of Russian extraction and not Semite extraction, it makes the Israeli Jews the' Anti-Semites' because they persecute the Semites (Palestinieans).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7887
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.