Agnostic.com

9 5

Do You Have a Crazy ADD Thought Trail?

So here is an example of why people think I'm weird. My thoughts are very... well, you decide.

I saw a show where somebody playing Annie was singing Tomorrow a couple of days ago. Song's been stuck in my head. Annoying. In the shower this morning, I was singing it in my head, and couldn't remember if it was "you're only a day away" or "you're always a day away."

And then I thought, what are the implications of either?

If tomorrow's ONLY a day away, Annie could be totally wrong. If the sun doesn't come out within 24 hours, she is wrong. If tomorrow is ALWAYS a day away, then she never has to be right or wrong, because tomorrow never comes.

Which, for some reason, got me thinking of Schrodinger's cat. I only know the pop culture reference, so there's probably scientific stuff going on I don't understand, but basically, until you open the box, the cat's both alive and dead.

Bullshit. Until you open the box you don't KNOW if the cat's alive or dead, but it is not both. Want proof?

An elderly person dies alone in their home on Friday. Nobody knows until the Meals on Wheels person finds them on Tuesday. Which day goes on their death certificate? Friday. Bam. Nobody observed them, but they were dead.

Therefore, yes, a tree falling in the woods makes a sound whether anybody hears it or not.

And every day is both today, tomorrow, and yesterday. So long to the adage why put off until tomorrow what you can do today? It'll be today tomorrow, also.

I scored VERY high on the ADHD scale.

Now, if you have ADD thought processes, please share. I find them fascinating!

Jenmcjen 6 May 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well, there was this time when... (no that wasn't it)... (Oh man, Wainwright just walked the bases loaded).... Did I mention that I'm a Music Director/pianist for musical theatre and absolutely DESPISE "Annie," the song "Tomorrow" most of all? (Which reminds me, I have to take the car in tomorrow for a damage estimate)... Crap! Double-!... Sorry, where was I? Oh yeah... What was the question? ?

yes yes yes yes yes yes! squirrel!

One of mine is: many people in our society feel that being a conformist is not a good thing. However, we all conform many times every day. Whenever we obey traffic laws or greet another person with a ritual greeting, we are conforming, literally. Whenever we go the the bathroom in a specially designated room or place, we conform 🙂 Thus, some conformity is a good and positive thing. But the blind or non-critical acceptance of authority is what is not good.

Well said. In discussing individual rights and rights of the larger group (discussion at the Unitarian group I belong to), we agreed that some conformity is necessary to keep the environment orderly and peaceful. But rigid conformity can be bad. Stalin, Hitler, Ceausecu, Mao and other dictators enforced rigid conformity and it was a disaster. So, we must find and balance between individual rights and group rights.

@SKH78 Although it very often makes good sense to abide by many customs or normal ways of doing things, I think we should always think for ourselves.

My thoughts tend to run amuck. School was a challenge, especially the boring subjects or boring teachers, which was pretty much the majority of them. College was no different.

This is the difficulty for the smarter people in our nation.

@Jenmcjen ?

I don't know about the cat thing. Wanna ride bikes? I planted my garden today. What kind of music do you like? My dog likes cats, but they don't like him. Where is my medicine, I should probably take it.

JK666 Level 7 May 11, 2018

Exactly!!! I totally wanna ride bikes, but squirrel!

I like some of your reasoning there. Remember that some people don't even care enough to think.

Well, i do have those days. Rare, but occasional.

Yes, indeed, there are too many people who do not think.

A little less concerned about things than that, but I appreciate your descriptions. You remind me of a childhood friend, his active mind and sharing his thoughts is what I liked best about him. I seemed to help keep him focused, and he helped keep me distracted 😉 He’s done well, a millionaire several times over.. Once he found a profession to apply, or focus this thoughts, he cooked! Find your niche ~

Varn Level 8 May 11, 2018

However, I always "grasshopper" in my thoughts. Some of my best electronic designs are a result of a meandering hop from thought to thought, and then a sudden bump into something truly original. I like my brain!!

Me, too!

Schroedingers cat is only an allegory. It is to show that a quantum state can have velocity and position, but the moment you measurr one, the other disappears. The cat state can be either until determined by observation.
in

I knew there was more scientific stuff to it.

@Jenmcjen Light is a quantum. That's why a single photon can pass through two distinct holes simultaneously, as proved by experiments. Bloody weird, that stuff.
Luckily, we have theoretical physicists to go loony over it and preserve the sanity of the rest of the world.

@Petter Yeah, when conversations about stuff like that come up, I just sit back and daydream. Until and unless somebody shows me how any of that theoretical physics stuff actually affects me in a practical way, I leave it to the people who are interested.

This is one of my favourite bits from "Alice Through the Looking Glass".

"I'm sure I'll take you with pleasure!" the Queen said. "Two pence a week, and jam every other day."
Alice couldn't help laughing, as she said, "I don't want you to hire me – and I don't care for jam."
"It's very good jam," said the Queen.
"Well, I don't want any to-day, at any rate."
"You couldn't have it if you did want it," the Queen said. "The rule is, jam to-morrow and jam yesterday – but never jam to-day."
"It must come sometimes to 'jam to-day'," Alice objected.
"No, it can't," said the Queen. "It's jam every other day: to-day isn't any other day, you know."
"I don't understand you," said Alice. "It's dreadfully confusing!"

Whoa. I like that man's brain!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:78969
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.