Agnostic.com

5 0

What do you normally do on Friday nights?

I've never been into the night scene (bars, clubs, downtown, etc). Even when I was in college, I would just stay in and watch TV, play a video game, listen to music, or browse the web. I was wondering what other people here do on Friday night.

joeymf86 8 May 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Since money seems to be a concern , but you like working out at the gym , try the YWCA or YMCA . They're membership is very inexpensive and the more you use it , the less expensive , per visit , it becomes .
You may also consider learning to play an instrument . Typically it involves a lot of sitting , and after the initial investment , you can take the instrument with you , if you move , or , if you decide you're no longer interested in that instrument , you can sell it to someone else .
The Appalachen (sp) Trail runs along the entire east coast , and provides a few thousand miles of hiking trails , over varied terrain .
You won't make friends to do activities with , if you choose to spend all your time sitting at home by yourself , focusing only on things you don't like or want to do .

Since money seems to be a concern , but you like working out at the gym , try the YWCA or YMCA . They're membership is very inexpensive and the more you use it , the less expensive , per visit , it becomes .
You may also consider learning to play an instrument . Typically it involves a lot of sitting , and after the initial investment , you can take the instrument with you , if you move , or , if you decide you're no longer interested in that instrument , you can sell it to someone else .
The Appalachen (sp) Trail runs along the entire east coast , and provides a few thousand miles of hiking trails , over varied terrain .
You won't make friends to do activities with , if you choose to spend all your time sitting at home by yourself , focusing only on things you don't like or want to do . While you named those things individually , even though you hinted there may be some things on the list you may be interested in , you did not acknowledge any of those , only that they might be fun if there were others to do them with you . So go back to the list , name the things you would be interested in doing , if you had friends , now go to those things , and make friends there .

Isn't the YMCA based on Christian values? In my town, I saw one of their flyers and to get a "couples" price, you had to be a man AND a woman. Same-sex couples did not qualify for couple prices. They won't be getting my money. Money isn't a concern for me...I'm just frugal when it comes to spending money on myself.

Also this post isn't a "give me suggestions on what to do with my spare time." Thank you again for the suggestions, but I didn't ask for them. I was just curious what other people did on Friday nights.

@joeymf86 You do not have to be Catholic, join as a couple (although that may be cheaper), or listen to ANY religious stuff to use their facilities . They don't hassle you . You check in at the desk at the front door .
Your initial post , started out saying you don't hang out in clubs or bars , etc , then asked what others did . Sounded like you were asking for suggestions , to me . So , I apologize for trying to help . And if that's the case , then you'll be happiest sitting home alone .

@Cast1es I'd rather not join any organization, facility, club, etc that discriminates/treats as unequals the LGBTQ community

@joeymf86 I was not aware that they were inviting anyone to have sex at their facilities . We only went to use the gym and pool .

@Cast1es I wasn’t either. That’s weird of them. Another reason not to go there for me. /s

True , the other post I wrote you , has disappeared . The SCA , is the Society for Creative Anachronism , and is made up of people interested in re-enacting Medieval History , creating and wearing the garb , armor , battles , courts , foods , camping , even horses .
Perhaps you'd be interested in learning to fly planes , camping with teenagers , search and rescue missions , and military uniforms ? Try joining the CAP (Civil Air Patrol) . You might consider learning scuba diving ? Volunteering at fire houses and learning to be an EMT . You could volunteer at your local hospital . Your life seems to be more stationary . If you wish to remain stationary , check out your local gaming store . On weekends they have table top games available . You may want to check out your local libraries. They teach computer classes , they have senior movie nights and offer local museum trips . Check with your local YMCA or YWCA , many have pools available and you could work out in their gym and go swimming . You may try either roller skating or ice skating at your local skating rinks , if you're only interested in Friday nights and not the whole weekend as some of my other suggestions usually take up . Join a motor cycle club . Go horse back riding . My daughter is involved with a horse shoe tossing group , that meets every weekend . My brother loved his corvette and he and his wife would go on planned group Corvette road trips with other Corvette owners . You could sign up for some fun classes at your local community college such as oil or acrylic painting , ceramics , foreign languages , knitting , sewing . Had a friend who was in his late thirties , who was researching his family history , who was also interested in marrying a virgin . He joined a geneology group at his local Catholic Church , where he met and married a former nun.

OK , so far I've suggested :

SCA or other re-enactment groups
CosPlay
SciFiFantasy Conventions
Ballroom dancing
EMT
Volunteer Fireman
Volunteer Hospital
CAP
Scuba diving
Gym and swimming
Roller Skating / Ice Skating
Motor cycle group
Library courses , trips , movies
Horse back riding
Horse shoe tournaments
Planned road trips
D & D games at your local gaming store
Courses (painting , ceramics , languages , knitting , sewing , French cooking , etc.)
Geneology club
On the top right hand side of your computer screen , you'll see something labeled as events . Click on that to see local events such as Greek festival , German , Festival Polish Festival , Farmers' markets Holiday festivals. You might be interested in visiting your local aquarium , arboritum , museums , parks , or commercial themed interests . You could take up work working , metal smithing , boating , fishing , archery , pistol target practice , auto mechanics .
And I may have forgotten one or two from the preceding posts . So what interests you ?
I'm going to send this off , instead of correcting it , before it disappears again .

A few of my interests include working out at the gym, hiking, listening to music, and watching movies.

Definitely not into SCA, cosplay, or sci-fi conventions. Not interested in volunteering at hospitals or putting my life at risk being a volunteer firefighter. Nothing military like CAP. Camping with teenagers? That sounds like someone asking for a lot of judgement and trouble from parents, plus I don't know much about camping and teenagers are assholes. I travel for work, so unless someone else is driving, no road trips. Not interested in taking classes at my local colleges; don't want to spend the money; that goes for anything with horses and scuba diving too. Don't have a motorcycle; my town doesn't have a roller skating or ice rink. We do have bowling but I'm terrible at bowling. I hate fishing/hunting, don't like zoos, aquariums, or any place that imprisons animals. I'm not into gaming that much; don't like multiplayer games.

Some of your suggestions could be fun if it wasn't just me doing them. Meaning going with a group or a few friends. That's not happening though.

So Joey , You didn't answer the question . What exactly IS your cup of tea ?

Sorry I didn't see any question. You also didn't answer my question: What's SCA?
(According to my alerts, as of now, you have commented 3 times on this post but I only see 2 comments. Maybe something happened where your second comment; your question; didn't show up for me. Picture below of what I see)

Well, to answer your question. On Friday nights, I normally walk around my neighborhood, watch a movie, play a video game (or watch people play video games on Twitch)

I'm like you . Not interested in the bar scene . When I was younger , I signed up with my local hospital and worked Sunday afternoons with the emergency room personnel , receiving incoming patients . My eyes aren't good now ., so I do not drive at night , however , I do spend Saturday afternoons playing D & D , with friends who do play night games . I was also involved with the SCA , which has events nearly every week-end. My LARP group also has frequent events . I also like SciFi /Fantasy Cons , you can find out about those online . People involved with these kinds of things , also get involved in other things . While doing these things , I met a couple interested in ballroom dancing . Someone died and left them money , so they decided to have a nice house built . They told the builder , they did not want a garage like the other homes , instead , they wanted a ballroom . Then they decided it wasn't near as much fun dancing all alone , all the time . They held a panel at a SciFi Con and taught simple ballroom dancing . Then they invited everyone to come to their home the first and third Sundays of every month for several hours of ballroom dancing . I later learned about a group which met much nearer my home , in a police social club building for Zidaco dancing , once or twice a month . What interests me , may not be of interest to you . One of my daughters became interested in Civil War re-enactments . She also became interest in volunteer work and trained to be an EMT , and spent some of her time hanging out at her local firehouse . My other daughter became involved with a group similar to the SCA. I see postings online about Rennies (interested in Renissance Festival ) all the time . Some of these folks , buy season tickets , come out to the site every weekend . I have one daughter , who now plays in horse shoe team tournaments . I guess , the best thing would be for you to decide what types of things interest you , join groups involved with that interest , and look for other related groups you find out about , at that initial group . Good luck , hon .

You and your family sound like my two uncles. They have a LARP group, go to Renaissance Fairs, and play D&D and card games. I've tried a few of these things with them but it wasn't my cup of tea.

What's SCA?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:79141
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.