Agnostic.com

15 2

Post Religious Life Philosophies

What philosophies have you found useful after deconverting from a religious upbringing? For me, Alan Watts and Albert Camus helped a lot with rethinking and processing everything about mortality, once I was pretty certain heaven/hell wasn't a thing. From there, Stocism, yet I'm far from being a disciplined Aurelius and can become nihilistic and depressive with ease.

EddieDreher 3 May 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Christians pray for a soldier to get well if he is sick, but they don't pray for his legs to grow back after being shot off. What's the difference?

Millions of people believe that God intervened into their life with some kind of miracle that was favorable. "I wrecked my car but I didn't get hurt because God was looking out for me, he saved my life". Reely?? He is a busy God. Which is more likely, something in nature occurred that we can't explain, or God suspended the natural process of nature because he picked a person to keep alive? Christians believe that if the sick man got well then God did it. But if the sick man died, then God works in mysterious ways. According to Sam Harris, you can't have it both ways.

The only reason to live is because you mean something to other people. Read "Man's Search for Meaning" by Victor Frankl.

Bill and Ted have it right. "Be excellent to each other, and party on, dude." For me, that means treat others as well or better than I treat myself but remember to have fun and take time for myself as well. The other is, "I do what I can (to help), whenever I can, however I can, if I can." I try to have that attitude as I go about my daily life. The second one also reminds me that I have to take my own limitations and shortcomings into account so I don't end up making a situation worse through good intentions.

Any philosophy, religion or thought process that promotes a nondualistic way of thinking has attracted my attention and helped me be the person I am today. For me it started with the book A Course In Miracles. Throughout the past 15 years I've also inquired into Buddhism, Zen, Taoism, Advaita, Alan Watts, Jiddu Krishnamurti, Adyashanti, Byron Katie and Eckhart Tolle. Guess you might say Eastern Philosophies that have been influenced with Western thought. Joseph Campbell also comes to mind. I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of. I still enjoy going to sleep listening to some of the people talking on YouTube about this way of thought. I just make the effort not to take any thought or belief too seriously. As I've recently posted, the most recent book I've read and thoroughly enjoyed was Steven Pinker's Enlightenment Now: The Case For Reason, Science, Humanism and Progress. After reading this book, I searched for groups and social sites on the Internet for people with similar interests and that's how I arrived here last month.

I'm familiar with much of them and definitely find dualist ideas to be hard to take seriously.

Pinkers book you mentioned will be my next audiobook. He also wrote "Everybody Lies" which I listening. very enlightening!! Thanks for the tip..

@Grecio Did some research on "Everybody Lies" and will check it out sometime. Currently listening to the book "Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow" by Yuval Noah Harari and enjoying it. Harari first wrote "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" a few years ago which I read last year and really liked.

When I die I want to be placed face down in my coffin so everybody that passes by to view can kiss my a**.

We are headed to a point one day when there will no longer be any wild animals. Already, there are millions more domesticated like cats, dogs, sheep, and goats. Meanwhile, hippos, rhinos, giraffe, lions, and tigers are all endangered. You know, millennial are lazy and dumb but they are not the ones that have killed off almost all our fellow mammals.

...millenial here, aka. The Cleanup Crew.

I like Willie nelson's new song. "Something You Get Through". The song is about life and you don't have to like country music to enjoy this song. One of the 4 horsemen said "I was fine for 15 billion years before I was born, so I expect to be fine when I am dead.

One question I love is, "What was it like to be unborn?".

@EddieDreher I think unborn, and dead is the same thing.

I think morality comes from within. We can't look to others for it.

My own philosophy: people are the most important thing in life.

And a philosophy I like from a children's film (Tuck Everlasting) - "Do not fear death, but rather the unlived life. You don't have to live forever. You just have to live".

My philosophy is that I don’t know anything. I choose based on probability what might be truer than another thing, but I still don’t know for sure. Is that chair real? I don’t know but I can touch the chair, see it and hear it makes sounds when I sit in it. So that’s a higher probability than say...God being real, which is closer to 0%.

Pagan.... Do what you wish and hurt no one. I think I got it right.

Worst cereal I've ever had.

Alan Watts talked about the Vedic concept of the Hindu philosophy of Brahman.
Essentially, a kid playing a video game, but each time you die, you start over from the beginning as a new character.

However, I like to believe that the universe is infinite, and therefore, there are infinite possible realities that we can't comprehend with our 2D thinking brains.
All realities are happening right now, at this moment, and yet there could also be realities which exist outside of time itself in a non-linear fashion.

I'd like to think that death is just a doorway to the next adventure. Whatever that may be.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson claims according to what we can surmise, we only know 4% of all that is around us, our brain is incapable of knowing more. So we kind of know that we don’t know.

Science + Eastern practices

skado Level 9 May 12, 2018

Camus is fantastic. The Stranger was required my senior year of high school. It really spoke to me and I remember reading the entire thing in one sitting. That lead me into his philosophy and existentialism. Though I never had a religion to convert from.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:79233
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.