Agnostic.com

7 3

Churches that Use Public Schools for Worship

Near me, I notice churches that set up on the weekends in gymnasiums of several public schools and use the facilities for worship. How do you feel about this?

reversehalo 5 May 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is what local government is supposed to contest.

If they are paying to rent the facilities at going market rates, and don't leave any religious stuff there in the school. It might be a way for schools to raise money.

If they are able to use the facilities for free or below market rates, than I have a problem with it. Or if they say, put up a permanent cross or something like that that remained there during the school week, I'd have a really big problem with it.

Great discussion...I think the practice is a bunch of Baloney. I’m not even sure if they pay!

sounds like a good way for schools to raise revenue with facilities that they have to pay for but can't use on the weekends. I doubt they turn a profit on it but at least they can mitigate cost a bit.

Sounds unconstitutional from here, though I know some sorry states are constantly blurring the line of separation…

When my children were in grade school a religious teacher, actually one they both had, encouraged and welcomed an aggressive youth indoctrination group into our public school during lunch recesses to ‘reenact bible stories’ for those not choosing to go outside.

I met with the teacher, principal and our ‘parents in education’ (PIE) group. It stopped. But there’s not an activist Atheist in every community ready to redraw and defend that line...

Varn Level 8 May 12, 2018

I have no problem with facilities use. They probably pay rent to do that.

Might as well use the facilities for something. As long as they're paying rent

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:79299
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.