Agnostic.com

10 1

Do you envision old age predominatly as 'the golden years or a time of tears'?

atheist 8 Dec 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Tears are ageless

I suppose it depends on so many things, I just saw i have another 29 years of work before i can get pension, so i suddenly felt very young (and depressed). I used to think my old age would be travelling and drinking wine, especially with the advances of medicine, i think things like arthritis and other old age and chronic diseases will disappear.
However, with the current economic climate and climate change in the world, seeing my dad's pension halved and all pension schemes in debt, i might be healthy when I'm 80 but what kind of world will it be?

I'm only 75 and haven't decided. I'll let you know what I envision when I get old.

Definition of old; 15 older than you are.

One person's envision of old age is not necessarily another's. Like so much it is relative. It is relative to one's physical, fiscal, mental and emotional health. It's relative to one's involvement with life and, more importantly one's attitude. Right now I am in a better position than I was 20+ years ago.

@atheist In many ways, yes.

I suddenly realized I was old. For the most part I think I am young. I am healthy and am physically active. The current changes on the political scene come at a sensitive time for me and I don't see myself retiring. I would like to back off on the day job. My dad is 94, mom 83 and all my grandparents lived close to that long despite a variety of challenges, I better suck it up one way or the other

trouble is he has already done so much damage I don't think it will be reversed in my lifetime. I am heartened by tonight;s results in Alabama

I turned 65 this year. Old is 20-years older than you are now. I'm healthy, still working and having fun for the most part. A scare with skin cancer earlier this year, but if that is my only health problem... Not quite my "golden years" but not tears to shed.

It seems to hinge on several factors, as to how it turns out ...

your finances, your health, your attitude, and your level of contentment.

yes, I am.

It's what you make it. It doesn't have to be bad.

I don't know anyone who has all their needs being met. You do the best you can with what you've got. Learn to get by with only what you need, and not what you want. And remember that there are always people who have it WAY worse than you do.

I don’t have to envision. I’m there. So far... not too bad!

skado Level 9 Dec 12, 2017

Well, that is a scary question!! I think I am going to be OK, but Der Trump could really F up my retirement plans, and then it will be a time of tears.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7955
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.