Agnostic.com

11 7

LINK These Are The 'Smartest' Dog Breeds, According to a Canine Psychologist

Some breeds aren't mentioned. My girl, GMO is half rat terrier (not mentioned) and half chihuahua (ranked low). Though I have to account for my own personal bias, GMO is much smarter than other dogs based on the criteria. I only have to tell her something once or twice and she listens to me more than 80% of the time. When she doesn't listen it's not because she doesn't understand. It's because she flat out doesn't want to. Or she's wigged out and afraid which happens if there's too much environmental stimuli around her.

Based on this article's criteria, how smart is your pet?

ScienceBiker 8 May 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My Chihuahua is also very intelligent. I have watched her solve problems and I am sure that she often understands me better than my linguistically gifted teenager, and certainly communicates better.

I have had multiple dogs of my own and currently have A Belgian Malinois who is the smartest dog I have ever encountered. My deceased Lab/Greyhound mix being the second and a Yellow Lab I had as a kid being the third. The Malinois actually can identify different toys by name and can anticipate my PTSD triggers before I have issues. She is truly amazing.

Having had the pleasure of being pals with a very sharp doberman, I'm glad to see them ranked. he was the smartest dog I've seen.
And, I knew it when he got his tag from the town.
He's long gone, I still have the tag.

My Cane Corso is very smart. She is very obedient, and learns so fast. She is also a sweetie pie.

Mutts, Hienz 57n's, and if we were able to communicate with them we would know more. I never could understand Pavlov and his contributions to Psychology. Why are Turkeys, Pigs,Coyotes and Elephants also ranked as being smart.

I don't think I would want dogs smarter than my corgis. I have been around some in that top tier and they vibrate with intention at rest

"... vibrate with intention..." Love that! 🙂

I have never owned a terrier but I am suprised they didnt rate

A quick scan reveals 25+ terrier breeds on the list.

Her Royal Cuteness is half German Shepherd, half pitbull.
So, she's pretty smart, and she's pretty stubborn.
When she was younger, she'd do everything I had trained her to do.
Now, she can still do what she's been trained to do, but only when
she freakin' feels like it. She's gotten old and grumpy, like her mama.
Neither of us do anything we don't feel like doing.
😀

@Donotbelieve Awww. That's sweet of you to say! She really is quite pretty. And I'm not biased at all. 😉

@ScienceBiker Thank you. You know I think your girl is too!! We're both pretty fortunate. 😉

I've had some fairly smart cats but I prefer to rate them either on the lovey/affectionate or goofball/knucklehead scales.

If they are anything like our cat was they could easily rate highly on both scales!

Simply do not agree I would like the exam base she made her decision from because I know many who will disagree.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:79613
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.