Agnostic.com

13 1

hi i don't belive in god but am i still an atheist if I believe in ghosts?

i don't believe in ghosts but i really want to

kumabutt 2 Dec 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Casper the friendly ghost is okay , but stay away from the Holy Ghost.

I believe that the energy of some people doesn't always fade when the body ,the shell, ceases to breathe, dies. Some just have things they need to see to,complete. So ,yea I believe in ghosts, or apparitions.some people die young and aren't ready to let go ,and the energy lingers. Some older,ill,or hurting people are ready to rest, and cease to exist. The afterlife, no. When we give up the energy, then we cease, no man made heaven or hell. Just traces of our bio energy lingering .

haha....go ahead, take that step into ghost belief...though, I think that if you believe in ghosts you believe in the existence of an 'afterlife' (though not necessarily, I guess....maybe you have a different idea as to what 'ghosts' are)...and that becomes quite the sticky wicket...

I think is possible to be an atheist and also to believe in ghosts. Atheism does nto necessarily have to encompass all supernatural phenomena in its broadest definition(s).

I do think other atheists however would be more comfortable if you described yourself as "Agnostic". The definition of that is broader in a way that would likely seem more acceptable to the more rigid atheists.

There are a lot of arguments about definitions, and if a person really meets another persons definition. It is like reading about two protestant sects arguing out finer points of disagreement and often have these holier than thou attitudes about their positions. They are in a sense overly pious about their atheism. (Yes, I am poking fun at them).

Yes. Atheist only means you don't believe in a god. If it isn't a god, atheists can believe in it.

I don't know... Maybe examine why you're an atheist? A more accurate description of my beliefs is I'm anti-faith and that science gives us the best tool we have for understanding our universe. Has science completely disproved the after-life? No, but with everything we currently know it IS highly unlikely to exist. I look at ghosts/in a similar way. Doesn't mean they can't exist and maybe there will eventually be a verifiable explanation for the phenomenon. I'm just along for this ride into our ever-increasing understanding of our reality.

Atheist: NOUN. A (non) THEIST (believer in god)

If you aren't a 'believer in god' then you're an atheist - because that's what the word means. I would say that the concept of 'ghost' and the concept of 'god' are sufficiently different for belief in ghosts to make no difference.

Hovever, if you don't believe in one entity for which there is no evidence, why would you believe in another entity for which there is a similar lack of evidence?

I'm an atheist and I believe in ghosts, the paranormal, and aliens. I personally believe they are two completely different things.

I'm with you on the possibility of Aliens. It is very very difficult to fathom that we are the only place in the universe with life.

Yes. Atheism is a single answer to a single question. "Do you believe in god(s)?". If the answer is "no" then you are an atheist, regardless of your other beliefs.

It depends upon your definition of ghosts, I guess.

If you view ghosts as merely an imprint of those who have passed away on the space/ time spectrum (much like a recording on a tape), then I guess you could still qualify as an athiest.

If you view them as entities from some sort of post life world where we all go after we die, then probably not.

They’re not mutually exclusive. You can believe in rakoshi, elves, kachinas or coyote man if that’s what flips your switch.

Still an atheist I guess.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7963
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.