Agnostic.com

15 0

Should the U.S. get rid of the penny?

It costs more to make pennies than the penny is worth. Is this a possible solution to ease our debt burdens?

Is the penny obsolete? Or do we need it?

• 3 votes
  • 31 votes
  • 7 votes
  • 1 vote
silvereyes 8 Dec 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Due to inflation, eventually even the dollar will be obsolete. Just another indicator that capitalism is not sustainable.

I would say the penny is obsolete but, unfortunately, especially in places with sales taxes they are needed. Otherwise, everything would be rounded up to the nearest nickel. It doesn't sound like a big deal but a penny here and a penny there adds up to millions that either goes to the tax man or the retailer making things just that more expensive. There is no reason pennies need to be made of copper. Maybe recycled aluminum or steel or whatever the metal is from that "tin" can I just threw in the recycle bin.

Canada dumped its penny, it really has not made a lot of difference to commerce at all as most exchanges are now electronic anyway. What it did do is save the federal government hundreds of millions in making a coin that cost nearly twice as much to make, even out of cheap metal, as its face value. It got to a point where almost every penny you got was new minted as people would just disagreed them from their change in a jar, bucket or the garbage. The US, though is a backwards nation they know they should, too, but the crazies running it don't want to change.

When I was in Japan in 1979, the one Yen coin was made out of a very cheap metal. Why because you could not buy anything for one yen or even five yen.

It woudl probably be overly complicated, but I'd like to see a currency reissue where the value of the currency was exchanged old for new at a 10 to 1 ratio. At this potnt though, it would probably be better to just let transactions all become digitized and just keep the penny around until all physical currency is taken out of circulation. I am not really all that comfortable with the idea fo a cashless society, but that is where we are heading. I just don't think electronic transactions will ever be completely secure.

The penny is obsolete the only reason it is around is because the sheep will buy something at 9.99 they won't buy at 10.00

What a laugh you gave me! I worked in advertising for a long time and always pushed rounded prices on my materials ... and every time they changed it to xxx.99. It drove me nuts but it i'm sure I drove them nuts as well.

Scrapping the penny while fighting inflation is like throwing out your skinny clothes when you diet. It incentivizes continued bad behavior. The penny should be kept in place and action should be taken to curb inflation in such a way as to bring the costs of materials back in line with its value.

I voted "NO" to eliminating it. I think there should be a special SWAT team assigned to going door-to-door looking for large jars of pennies. JK!! I don't want to pay a penny more than I have to for goods or services!

I'm undecided about the penny, but definitely get rid of the $50 bill.

Waste of time and money.

But it says "In God We Trust" on it so getting rid of it would be sacrilegious. (I voted obsolete...)

Round everything up to a nickle. I've seen so many people just toss them and many wind up in the dump. When I worked at Hertz a lot of the younger employees used to throw them in the parking lot.

If you don't want your pennies, send them to me.

LOL, I wouldn't mind some sent my way either.

When pennies were made from copper, they at least felt like currency. Now they're made from lighter, cheaper materials and remind me of the crappy coin prizes I got in cereal boxes when I was a kid. Regardless, I vote to decommission the penny.

Obsolete. Prices will just need to be adjusted so we don't have to make change for less than a nickel.

Let's get rid of all coins while we're at it. Just round to the nearest dollar.

Really? You want to pay $1 for one banana, onion or potato?

@GareBear517 lol just sarcastic 😛

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7978
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.