Agnostic.com

12 9

Dumbass move?!

Have you ever done something so stupid that you are surprised no one was killed as a result of your actions?

When I was in my early 30's, I had a very small sailboat, basically a sabot, that I kept at one of the local man-made lakes in the area.

When I decided that was no longer practical, as I was no longer using it enough to justify keeping it, I decided to take it home.

Not having a proper boat trailer, I rented (or borrowed, I can't recall which) one and want to fetch the craft.

The trailer was just a regular small, open trailer with sides about 3 ft high. The boat went in the trailer upside down, but the bow was lifted in front as the thing was slightly longer than the trailer.

For some reason (ignorance, apparently), I neglected to tie the hull down. I think you can guess what happened next. Picture: boat in trailer, bow up, heading into the wind in transit. Yeah. I was doing about 60 mph on the 101 fwy when I looked in my mirror and saw the goddamned hull flying out of the trailer behind me.

My heart sank. I don't recall if I got off at the next ramp, went back and got back on the freeway and retrieved it; or, if I just stopped on the freeway, and ran back and retrieved it. Anyway, I was somewhat traumatized by the thought of what COULD have happened (but didn't, thank the universe), that I couldn't think straight for months afterward. The thought that I could have killed someone deeply affected me, and I have not done anything even close to that stupid since. I truly learned a valuable lesson that day.

Condor5 8 May 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

When I was young and indestructable (so I thought) I climbed out of the back of a small van and clung onto the roof as it was going along at about 50Mph. My task was to edge up over the roof and wave to the driver through the windscreen. Dangerous but funny - Madness.

This is a very long time ago.

One time a friend and I were driving home about 3:00 a.m. from partying (we were teenagers). The freeway was pretty much deserted, except for 1 car with 2 guys in it. We got our cars even with each other, then passed a joint from car to car.

marga Level 7 May 15, 2018

Did it stay lit?

As tweeners my cousins and I used to fire pop bottle rockets (with report meaning they exploded at the end) at passing cars. We were about 50 yards from the road where it was common for people to drive 70mph or more. I'd hold a pipe like a bazooka, we'd have one loader and one lighter and FIRE. Well we never got too close but one night a pop bottle rocket exploded right in the middle of the windshield. It was perfect. It was awesome. It was spectacular. IT WAS BOSS. IT WAS BTICHEN.......until the truck backed up and came up the drive way. We ran like he'll, dove behind hay bails in the field. He banged on the door, yelled at my mom and told her what we were doing. She said "they don't even have firecrackers" he pointed to all the spent matches and unlit bottle rockets. "What are those"? He demanded. Oh, those wouldn't hurt a fly. After we reconvened, we thought we'd test out how strong they really were. Those of you old enough will remember the thick 10-2-4 Dr. Pepper pop bottles. We put a rocket in upside down, lit it, ran and it blew it into hundreds of pieces. We never bazookaed again. The horrible accidents that could have occurred. What the he'll were we thinking?

That would get you murdered nowdays, in some places. Oh, the insane shit we do when young.

I tried to make nitroglycerin in my parents basement. (I had all the ingredients, but didn't get the conditions correct thankfully) I made rocket motors, small explosive devices, flash paper. A small cannon.

Did a fair amount of experimentation with 110v house current, high voltage experiments with car coils.

Jumped off of 2nd story into mattresses and pillows.

Made a 250ft zip line that started about 75ft in the air and went to ground level. Front forks from a bike with an empty rim works great for this.

Used my dads circular saw to shape wood freehand by taping the guard open and turning it on upside down with blade exposed.

Model rockets with fireworks as payloads.

It's apparent you're an innovatoor. Love the zip line idea.

At about 7 I learned you don't fill a large plastic bag with acetylene and touch it off with a lit cigarette. Although it was a sight to behold.
For Science !

Without elaborating, I'll just say I've also done some potentially fatal things involving fire. Sometimes, I wonder that I've lived this long.

It was awesome. Blew Windows out, obliterated the bush I tied it to....brought folks running from every direction.
They weren't quite as happy as I was about it though.

I added oxygen with acetylene and used the torch to burn it, it went off louder than an M-80.

I believe worse situations show up to us but that should be a leaving a great experience to anyone no matter whether it is bad or good just learn from it as all of it happens unconsciously from our brain

I've had lots of near-misses and mishaps that were my own doing. I was even married once...lol.

Hah! If you count marriages, I'm headed off the chart for stupidity.

@Condor5 knocked me for a loop that's for sure. gave me more to learn from than I wanted, but not as much as I needed....lol

that's a good one!

That's a classic! How old were you? I'll bet that this is something that would come with wisdom gained.

We've all done stupid things to achieve the wisdom that we now enjoy. Your story has me reflecting on mine. I remember spraying a de-greaser in my eyes because I was twisted under the car trying to de-grease a CV joint to repack it. I couldn't see which side actually pointed to the tire so I guess I just guessed. It was not a pretty scene.

If I recall correctly, I was in my early 30's. I bet that degreaser stung a bit, eh?

@Condor5 🙂 Pretty sure I was in my early 30's when I did the de-greaser thing too. Yes - I remember my 12 year old daughter looking on and my being embarrassed as I yelled I've sprayed acid in my eyes! Fortunately, I recovered without medical intervention.

@marmot84 kind of amazing some of us are still around, isn't it?

I was with my partner and her young children on a frosty morning. if you couldn't get the key in the door because of frost a quick blast from a lighter would normally do the trick. there I was at the petrol station with a locked frozen petrol cap, the fuel nozzle and a lighter directly on the locking cap on the tank.

Yeow! That reminds me of people who smoke cigarettes while refueling.

@Condor5 scared the shit out of me

My heart was in my throat just reading this!

I was shaking all the way home, and afterward. It really made an impression.

Dont feel to bad brother. You live and you learn. You got lucky... the good kind of luck.

It's a lesson that has stuck with me for well over 30 yrs now. I doubt I'll ever forget it.

I know that I have experienced that kind of thing over the years, more than once I am pretty sure! And it does change your state of mind for some time! The reason I do not remember one of those times at the moment is, I have made a habit of not remembering anymore than necessary to carry into my everyday life! If it is necessary to my living, I must remember, otherwise I forget and live for now!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:80027
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.