Agnostic.com

14 7

What’s some good atheist books that you recommend?

I’m in the middle of reading books from San Harris, Richard Dawkins and Dan Barker. I would also like to know some more books that I can learn from that will exercise my mind to even think more critical to continue to unwrap the b.s of religious, which is full of superstitious nonsense people in the Bronze Age believed, due to their lack of knowledge about the real world.

EmeraldJewel 7 Dec 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Have you read "The God Delusion" or "Breaking the Spell?" Both great books, penetrating, enlightening, and highly rational.

That is a great question! I would also be interested in Fiction books where atheism is semi-prominent in the story -- not sure they even exist.

My selection of good Athiest books would be Man and his Gods by Homer.W.Smith Wonders of the Universe by Professor Brian Cox The Ancestors Tale by Richard Dawkins.

life on earth or the blue planet or any natural history or animal book as animals don't have any idea about religion so are atheist books.

A lighter read and quite funny is

Sacred Cows by Seth Andrews.

And the recently released Fantasyland: How America Went Haywire has a really good history of the U.S. and how religion has disillusioned America from the beginning.

I'm not sure if this counts but... The documentary "Zeitgeist" covers all aspects of Christianity that were ripped from other religions... The the story of "after 3 days he rose" bollocks was taken from Paganism... It comes in a collection of 4 conspiracies, this one is with Christianity (duh-ish), the Rockefeller US Banks and the theory of the twin towers being a controlled demolition... It's kind of insensitive if you let it be, but they certainly have insteresting insights to some rather thought-provoking theories, in my honest (and humble) opinion.

Also: D. Kahneman, Thinking Fast and Slow
Kahneman's thesis is that the human animal is systematically illogical. Not only do we misunderstand cause and effect situations, but we do so following fairly predictable patterns. Moreover, those patterns are grounded in our primate ancestry.

J. Haidt: The Righteous Mind - Why Good People are Divided over Politics and Religion. Why it feels as though half the population is living in a different moral universe from you. This book states that the reason we find it so hard to get along is because our minds are designed to be moral.

I'm a big fan of Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, and Sam Harris books but hands down the best book on God is, God: The Failed Hypothesis: by Victor J. Stenger. Stenger lays out the evidence from cosmology, particle physics and quantum mechanics showing that the universe appears exactly as it should if there is no creator. It's written so that laypeople can learn something, but it's not so technical that the reader is distracted by scientific explanations way above their heads. He kept it simple enough that you will understand it, but challenging enough to keep you interested.

As others have said, The God Delusion and anything by Sam Harris are great places to start; I recently finished Ayaan Hirsi Ali's memoir called Infidel, and highly recommend it! It details her life as a Muslim, Somalian refugee, how she suffered through forced female genital mutilation at the age of 5, ended up fleeing from an arranged marriage to Europe, and eventually gave up her faith, became an atheist despite death threats as an apostate, and landed herself a position in government in Holland. Definitely worth a read =)

Godless by Dan Barker. He is a former evangelical preacher who turned atheist and co-founded Freedom From Religion Foundation.

I'm still reading, "The God Delusion." It's a good one.

Yes it is! I’m a huge fan of Richard Dawkins.

'The Greatest Show On Earth' is my favorite of his.

Me too.

God . The Interview by Terry Lane.

I always suggest people read Agents Of Chaos by Norman Spinrad...so many concepts to mine from that book...Chaos being the least of them...God is an archaic concept in the book.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:8038
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.