Agnostic.com

12 2

Philosophy ?

What’s your experience with philosophy and how important is it to you and your religious/nonreligious worldview ?

mattyrayfray 4 May 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

total--my freshman philosophy course on the existence of god sealed any thoughts about religion from there on out.

lerlo Level 8 May 17, 2018

A lot. The unexamined mind is not worthing thinking.

Well, if you include inductive & deductive logic, which at the university I attended were required courses and taught in the Philosophy Dept, very important.

“Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem."

IAS1 Level 5 May 14, 2018

Always been into it.Always wanted to know the meaning of life etc.

Coldo Level 8 May 14, 2018

It's important to know the basics.

Your philosophy is your reality, you essentially are what you believe. From an early age I knew that what I was being taught didnt add up so i searched for truth on my own. It took many years but I did discover truth. I think the reason I did was because I made kind of an agreement with myself, to accept whatever answers i discovered as true, whatever they were. I can tell you what i know is true - Space is infinite and there was no beginning, and what I was taught as God was essentially the energy of the Sun creating life on Earth.

gater Level 7 May 13, 2018

I am self made with all the flaws ignorance or narrow point of view allows. I follow no god, no hero, no leader. I am an island. My worldview is my experience as a traveller. I am limited but to nobody's fault but mine so thus my happiness is within my boundaries but it is here and now, just as yesterday will be tomorrow.

I sometimes indulge in philosophy light, but the hours and hours people spend talking about things that have no practical value in my life bore me to stone. For one thing - what existed before the big bang, or whatever you think "started it all." Newsflash. Nobody can ever possibly know this. So a little interesting idea tossing, but getting into it in a real heated debate and shit? No thanks. I think I prefer logical conundrums to philosophical discussions.

I think you might have a skewed perception of what most philosophy is, but I get your point. I think most philosophy is something you can actually embody and live and feel.

I like philosophy. It provides ways of thinking about life which don't have to involve religious notions. It helps us understand our evolving situation, how we find our self in the world in logical, practical and ethical terms.

cava Level 7 May 13, 2018

best comment awarded to you sir

General guiding principles.
My personal philosophy is more a standard I hold myself to as best I can given the circumstances I deal with.

Interesting, but no real affect on my view of the world.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:80604
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.