Agnostic.com

121 15

Are atheist as racist as religious people?

In my life I have found that more prejudice and racism has come from Christian people. Ironically I was told to not be "unequally yoked together with non-believers." Well, those are the very people who treated me as an equal human being.

Thoughts?

Rideauxb 7 Oct 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

121 comments (101 - 121)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Everytime I dated a Christian girl/woman, no matter how tolerant she claimed to be of my lack of belief or how I tried to tolerant I was of her faith, the "unequally yoked" line would come up.

Racism/any-ism has nothing to do with whether one is a Believer or Atheist.

Each is just a singular belief in a subset of other beliefs, and they have no causal connection.

I’m a white guy that was born and raised in Detroit. Being often the only white kid in class or in the whole school and yeah I was often made fun of and called names but nothing too bad. I realized I was an atheist at 18 and although I don’t believe in a god, who’s morals are questionable at best lol, I began to realize that religion does promote hate in certain areas. I personally believe everyone is different but that good. We can learn from each other and move the human race forward.

I would say Atheists are prone to all the other human failings, but for most of the religious ones.

Can't say... racism is hard to put in stats.

My experience is that atheists are much less racist ON AVERAGE. Bad apples still exist. But seems to be much fewer.

Religion is the motivating factor for many people's racism, so it isn't surprising.

There's no direct relationship between belief and racism, or lack of belief and lack of racism. Unfortunately, there are racist atheists.

It happens that there is some coincidence between socially insular people and religiosity, at least in the United States. Being socially insular is a good way to foster racism because the socially insular only want to associate with others like themselves, and skin color, national origin, and all the rest are easy and common ways to identify someone else as different than yourself.

We as non-believers should resist the impulse to be socially insular, in my opinion, and that includes preferring to be only around other non-religious people. I'd rather see a lot of non-religious people with religious friends, behaving morally and generously and being good friends, good neighbors, and good citizens, quietly confident in their non-theism. There's no better way I can think of to demonstrate to the religious people in the world that you don't need God to be good.

Probably on a percentage basis.

I think that any type of culture that teaches one to accept anything told them as a hard truth, regardless of the facts, is more likely to believe such notions. I could be wrong, but I do feel religious people have more of a cultural tendency to be racist than non-religious.

Even math expands and we (not I I mean humans) find new things that didn't make sense before. I still stand by 2 + 2 = 4 though.

I think the more educated we are the more inclusive we become. I do what I can to include everyone I meet and like, no matter what background they come from.

I'd love to answer with an unqualified 'no', but I've met some mighty bigoted atheists. Atheism is amoral. When someone says they are an atheist, all they have revealed about themselves is that they don't subscribe to a belief in a god. They've said nothing about their stance on morality, ethics, or even rationality. That having been said, I do believe that--in this country at least--atheists tend to be far less racist on the whole than do believers.

I would think that, by our nature, ie the open mindness that led us to become atheist, would also leave us less racists.

godef Level 7 Dec 23, 2017

My experience with religious people has been that they are very racist. That's another thing that turned me off about church. I was talking to the preacher of a church I used to go to, and he actually used the "N" word to describe a black man who had been beaten and dragged behind a pickup truck. I couldn't take the preacher seriously after that. I know that one preacher doesn't represent all preachers, but it's just a sample of what I see around me.
The atheists I've been around are pretty inclusive, and fair minded.

I have never met an Atheist racist. I'm sure they are out there but I have never even seen any sort of racist comments from an atheist on social media. There are reasons for this I believe. Atheists question just about everything. We tend to be skeptical and rational.

Religion despises rational thought and encourages group think. It also teaches exclusivity, that is only x group is enlightened. This easily sets up racial, ethnic, and cultural divisiveness.

I have a strange since of humor. The other day racism came up in a conversation with my son's friend. I wanted to illustrate how stupid racism was. So I told him in our family we do not judge people on the basis of race or ethnicity....just the color of their skin. He laughed and understood the lesson. It's all stupid no matter how you put it.

I'm rarely disappointed by fellow atheists but on the rare occasion a racist atheist is met I question their ability to analyze facts and their ability to logically think

Racism isn't determined by religion who makes you better than those who don't follow yours. But it helps. I believe in freedom of association, be that the intoxicated(drunk), racial heritage, religion, sex etc. Any belief that segregates you from your fellow human beings (heaven/hell, white/ coloured, cith/trans) is not a good idea.

Atheists aren't really racist? Why would you compare the racist Christian scum to them?

Personally I think it's within the capacity of a person with any religion, race, gender etc to act as such. Now I do also think that certain cultures and groups; region specific, are more likely to be racist too. Generally it seems the bigger collective usually falls into such rationale.

I think that non-believers are more tolerant of people not like themselves, and more open to learning about different cultures and beliefs.

We are not born racist, it has to be learned. I work and love black people so what's the problem? I've had a black man in my home for many years and he was one of the finest persons I ever met, know and love. I'm gay, he's straight, it's never a problem.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:807
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.