Agnostic.com

8 17

See a waterspout come ashore in the town I live in

I live about 4 blocks from the beach. In March, around 2 pm we went under a tornado warning. It got so dark all the street lights came on and weather forecasters named the street I live on as being in its direct path. I was both excited and terrified. I'm a bit of a weather junkie. Lol

This is footage of that waterspout as it came ashore and turned into a weak tornado, exactly a month ago today. Thankfully, it didn't strengthen on land but did do some damage in the harbor -- capsizing boats, ripping off a roof, as well as damaging some trees once it came ashore.

If you don't want to watch the whole 5 minutes, start around minute-marker 2:55. The audio goes out a few times. At the end of the video, the people in the car get caught in the ghost train. A ghost train (rear inflow jet) can be quite dangerous catching people off guard. They got lucky.

Have you ever seen a tornado up close or sustained damage by one?

VictoriaNotes 9 May 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Very interesting! Thank you.

It's been a fairly quiet tornado season in the US so far. Its quite unusual. I've not heard of the 'ghost train' term before.

I grew up in Dallas and tornadoes are common. I am so glad I live in a place with boring weather. No tornadoes, waterspouts, hurricanes, blizzards, bitter cold and on. We do get a lot of windstorms but not at high speeds.

I love tornados. I have recurring dreams about them. I've seen 1 tornado and 1 waterspout. I think they're fascinating.

Nice!

Gert Level 7 May 14, 2018

About a week after my ex and I bought our house a small tornado came down our street.
It formed very quickly, I was on the enclosed front porch closing windows as it went by.

It uprooted a maple tree on the corner of my property knocked it into the neighbor's house.
It broke big tree-sized branches off of a huge cottonwood in the backyard.
It then traveled about 10 blocks knocking down large trees as it went.

It was scary. The kids were still young and Mary was pregnant at the time. Luckily we had a basement to hide in.

I don't ever want a house without a basement. 😉

wow! I've been near a couple of tornadoes but I've never seen one.... it was always night. the video is really neat though.

Very cool video.

But driving towards a waterspout/tornado? Nope. That wasn't smart.

Neat

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:81050
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.