Agnostic.com

26 1

What are your biggest turnoffs from potential mates?

Feel free to share your dating experiences (past and present)

GoodMan 7 Oct 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In general: Dishonesty; meanness or cruelty (to animals or any one less powerful, less successful, etc.); inattentiveness (constant staring at the phone or texting when we're together); bigotry in any form (self-explanatory); crudeness (cursing in front of my elderly mother or my grandkids, for example, being loud or obnoxious in public); inability to be naturally affectionate...
These are a few of my (least ) favorite things.... 🙂

Saying the most important thing to them is God then their kids/family.

Being a smoker, being religious, being a bully, not being compassionate, not having empathy, not wanting to do something to make the world a better place. I might also add things like bad personal hygiene, not knowing how to manage money, not being responsible.

Funny story: I once knew an IT system manager who approached everything very logically. He decided he wanted to marry and start a family so he sat down and make a list of attributes he was looking for and he prioritized them. Then he started dating and would compare each woman with his list. He found the woman of his dreams and married her and lived very happily.

I thought this was a wonderful idea. I sat down and made my list which was a very interesting exercise because I needed to take a look at who I was, what was important to me, what was non-negotiable and what wasn't. That exercise took away the "head over heels" falling in love conundrum that often gets us in trouble and it helped me think more clearly and logically about a decision that would affect me for the rest of my life.

Anyway, a coworker found my list and made copies, passed them around the office and told the guys that I was conducting interviews on Friday! I was acutely embarrassed but in the end it was pretty darned funny. I told the story to my brother when I told them some of the things on the list he asked if I'd ever considered being cloned. LOL

I was about 35 years old at the time and to this day, I still will make a list of pros and cons when faced with an important and difficult decision.

1. Liking country music (sorry, but I vehemently hate it.)
  2. Being super religious and wanting me to go to church with them.
  3. Being intolerant and ignorant

Level of maturity and compassion; you can be the most physically attractive person, but if you’re an immature, egotistical, assh*le, you’ll become the most unattractive person to me.

1. Telling me about how good her x was in bed.
  2. drinking booze at 9 am
  3. Asking me to go to church
  4. Asking me to pay her bills or a loan
  5. Owning a snake (I hate snakes)
  6. going the bathroom with the door open
  7. Chewing with her mouth open

Bad teeth or bad hygiene ruins it for me! Especially on a firat date. There is nothing that says "I don't care" quite like a sloppy person with poor hygiene.

I can handle most anything and work through it together but there is one thing that really gets me is dishonesty. It's my criptonoight ...

Being stupid.
Having no sense of humor
Being religious
No wanting to travel
Not being a nerd
Doesn’t play video games
Hates books
Doesn’t like tattoo ( I have sleeves)
Isn’t weird

Personally, I'd say dishonesty and dogmatism. I really can't get along people with minds that cannot accept change or reality, and I only trust people once - if you lie to me, then you'll be a liar to me for your whole life.

MarcO Level 5 Oct 6, 2017

Dishonesty, both with themselves and others. I just moved from South Florida because it is a cesspool of dishonest people. Where are the genuine caring people???

Face Tattoos
Dishonesty
Disloyalty
Smoking
Drinking
Religious zealotry
Immaturity
Lack of a sense of humor
Lack of self control
Egotistic
Bigotry (racism, homophobia, etc.)

Bad hygiene, lies, dogmatic beliefs, ignorance, lack of confidence, hate motivated speech, selfish, rude and inconsiderate behavior.

SamL Level 7 Oct 8, 2017

not being a kind person

1. Smoker, that is a deal breaker.
  2. Our senses of humor don't match.
  3. Lack of intelligence
  4. Lack of compassion, empathy, or kindness
CS60 Level 7 Oct 7, 2017

Infidelity, Trust issues, Smoking, Someone who isn't educated, Hardcore Religitard, Dirtiness (AkA: Actual Dirt & Grease), and someone not willing to have sex.

believing in nonsense, such as horoscopes or creationism. but mostly the denial of well established facts, like saying vaccines are bad, and science is just theories.

Smoking would be high on my list, I hate kissing ashtrays.
Lack of intelligence I have never been able to date stupid women.
Lack of empathy or a social conscience is a turn off.
Self absorption, jealousy and distrust does not sit well with me either.
I have never been fond of mice, I like confident women that are not afraid to stand up for themselves.

-Being venomous without reason. This is the woman that glares in your direction every time you find yourself in their presence and actively looks for way to express their disgust, not by leaving or saying so and why, but with obnoxious body language.

-Drama loving. Always seeking out ways to antagonize any situation so that later on it can be used for gossip and general shit talking, even taking it as far as starting real conflict with people simply for the sake of that conflict and no other reason. No thanks.

-Playing games. Not video games or sports or anything, love that shit and love a woman who plays. I hate the games that are played by saying yes to something and then getting angry when it follows through and demands it stop followed by asking why it stopped a short time later. Suddenly not talking or wanting to have anything to do with and then after a few days, asking out of nowhere why you don't talk, or to greater extents, going weeks without responding to anything and then when it's been given up on and started moving on, suddenly getting messages like "I miss you." and "I want you back." These games are not fun, too much lag.

-Severe lack of intelligence aka stupid. This is probably the biggest one. This one however is difficult to fulfill as the level of stupidity needs to be quite high in order to smash the switch into the off position. The best example of this is in the old "Scary Movie"s. The one's that were a spoof on popular horror movies of the time. In them, the main character, Cindy Campbell, who was played by Anna Faris, is just a train wreck of stupidity. While definitely funny in moments, it was also pancake flaccidity inducing. Seriously, any tent, no matter how professionally pitched, is easily dismantled in seconds as if the heart suddenly enters vacuum mode by Cindy's entire part in those movies. However, after seeing those movies and then seeing the actress play in a different movie where she wasn't purposefully losing a game of ticktacktoe to a broom, I found her unbelievably attractive when she showed some decent degree of intelligence. Stupidity is a definite killer.

-Substance abuse and lack of self control. Lastly, this one is highly unattractive for obvious reasons. If you have the discipline and can do things in moderation while not letting it take over your life, then go for it. However, if you find yourself unable to stop yourself from doing things like manipulating others and don't want to change, then I really can't see how a relationship can go anywhere. As Stan said to his dad, “You rack a disprine!”

Dis honesty isa big one, control freak, one sided mind set, always negative. , addicted to drugs illegal or legal or booze , and some who is a narcissistic person oh and usually some one who is a religious nut, if she were drop dead gorgeous it would still be a deal breaker! Lols

Dis honesty isa big one, control freak, one sided mind set, always negative. , addicted to drugs illegal or legal or booze , and some who is a narcissistic person

In this context, intellectual arrogance (i.e. all religious people are stupid and should be told as much).

Religion, smoking, political viewpoint, looks, humorless, lack of intelligence, sedentary lifestyle.

its not a major one but its the music sense for me they need to like around the same music

Racism, trust issues, saying stuff like "Jesus is #1 in my life and I follow God in everything I do" , selfishness, conspiracy theorists, smoking anything kind of is a turn off.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:813
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.