Agnostic.com

4 3

LINK The “Other Side” Is Not Dumb.

An interesting notion.

GregGasiorowski 6 May 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Is there another side for us?

Not being able to understand other points of view is a hinderance to understanding. And we need understanding if we are to have meaningful conversations rather than to just reiterate our points of view.

When comes to people's choices in entertainment l agree there is no 'dumb'. People are moved by whatever touches them in some way. When it comes to questions like gun control, racism, or whether Trump is qualified to be President there certainly is 'dumb. To respect stupid is to encourage more of the same.

Did you read the article? I think it's less "respecting dumb," and more realizing that we are all people, and all in different parts of our journeys, and many of us just don't have the experience that others do. Our perspectives are different. It doesn't mean that I am "dumb" for being a liberal or someone else is "dumb" for being a conservative, it just means that we see things differently.
Being a dick to someone not "on your side" is not going to help bring them see your point of view. We have to be willing to have conversations.

@Remi I read it, l disagree with some of it. Sometimes l like being a 'DICK' just to see the look on someones face. ☺

Okay maybe the other side is not dumb, but when the other side's theocratic, totalitarian culture catalyzes a natural phenotype that is predisposed to behaving like an animal, then maybe the other side actually IS dumb, and you're still looking from the wrong side.

@NotConvinced

Not really. Middle eastern cultures do feature some awful types. These types generally are predominantly auditory and physical, which causes neurotic fits to stimulus which is otherwise not to be taken as a serious thing.

Types? Is that like Kinds in the Bible? This statement makes no sense to me.

@GregGasiorowski Nope. This is purely human anatomy we are talking about.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:81799
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.