Agnostic.com

13 3

Casual Friday

The company I work for allows jeans, t shirts, tennis shoes, sandals everyday. For summer they are allowing shorts. Must be no short than 4 inches above the knee. I should point out it's office work.
Can a companies dress code be too casual?

Iamkratom 7 May 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Everyday should be Casual Friday.
Dress codes are unnecessary, unless you need to wear a specific uniform (or scrubs) for your job.
Suits and business wear is completely ridiculous. Forcing men to wear suits and ties, and women to wear dresses or skirts (or suits) is just absurd.
I'm not going to take anyone any more or less seriously based on what they're wearing.
As long as they're practicing good personal hygiene, their clothes are clean and in good
repair, I really don't care what they're wearing.
I think it's an unnecessary mindset that too many people have. Focus on the work, not
what someone is wearing.

That's cool.

Yes.... if they include casual sex. You really got to wonder about that one. Just kidding...lol.

I shudder at casual conversation with the people in my office. The thought of seeing an exposed knee is even more then I can tolerate.

@Iamkratom .... its dangerous...

It depends on the kind of people that are hired at your company. Some people become dysfunctional in casual dress settings, so it's a bad thing, but otherwise it's no issue. I've heard that companies are essentially political organizations from some lady at Harvard Uni, so casual settings can be beneficial in companies that are within the scope of effect of left-wing policies, or are run by the left, but this is not something I really know about.

My advice to you is to just maintain discipline, and keep focused. Momentary emotional stuff is just going to mess up your ability to function in your work environment, you don't get reputation points for expressions about the dress code.

I work at home. Most days are casual. Are some are just naked.

You know when I was growing up in Australia, it was acceptable for men (at the office) to wear tailored suit-like shorts, long socks and dress shoes, with a shirt (usually white) and tie. I don't know if that is still the case.

If you're not interacting with the public face to face, and there are no safety issues, meh.

Public perception is important for the health of many businesses. Dress codes tend to reflect this. I, personally, only care when there are health and safety issues, but I'm in a minority where I work. When I do blue jeans casual, I wear my Casual Dress Day sticker prominently on my arm.

Casual Friday started as a charity fundraiser. You would donate a buck or two each week which they would take out of your check with your authorization, which would get donated to a charity of your company's choice. In turn, you got to dress down on Fridays. Now it seems charities have been taken out of the equation and it's just a given that Fridays are casual.

Exactly!

No, glad to hear companies these days relax the rules more.

I think the whole thing is a joke. If they can have a casual dress code on a Friday they can do it on a Thursday too... and a Wednesday... and the whole week.

It's just their way of reminding you who's boss.

I am an activities coordinator at a nudest colony and coming to work nude is a requirement.

A man after my own heart.

Actually a goal for me

I am in a band. As long as you don't show up naked it pretty much doesn't matter.

Wow. There's so many bands and so many band members I'd like to see naked. Can we get this on someone's ballot for the next election?

@Iamkratom lol. ?

Depends on the people.
For me ? No, nothing is too casual.
For a lot of others...yeah, they got problems.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:82106
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.