Agnostic.com

5 2

Help me understand. How can a person be a Criminal Defense Attorney, a Republican AND a Buddhist?

Help me understand. How can a person be a Criminal Defense Attorney, a Republican AND a Buddhist? He is an otherwise seemingly rational person.

I can't wrap my head around it and I fear imminent cranial explosion. In other words, it's driving me nuts.

LillyMaeve77 4 May 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well clearly he hasn't moved very far down the road to enlightenment

I would say there has to be some cognitive dissonance/leaps of logic but who are you talking about?

A FB friend I've had many conversations on-line with. From the area. I just can't seem to reconcile the disconnect and he doesn't try to explain - saying that he only discusses politics in person. Isn't Buddhism supposed to be a religion of peace and doing no harm? Pretty much the opposite of the GOP?

@LillyMaeve77 I agree but look how Buddhism is being used in Myanmar right now. I guess any belief system can be perverted.

@LillyMaeve77 do not harm to other rural white people as long as they carry their own expenses and arent gay and support ammosexuals. Yea. Right

Could you please elaborate on the perceived inconsistency here? Can one be criminal defense attorney, Democrat and Buddhist? Do Republican criminal defense attorneys have a specific religion?

I'll try. I think my confusion has much more to do with his religion and political affiliation rather than occupation. Democrat and Buddhist seems more logical. As I responded to kmdskit3, Isn't Buddhism supposed to be a religion of peace and doing no harm? Pretty much the opposite of the GOP?

People are capable of astounding levels of compartmentalization and rationalization to protect themselves from cognitive dissonance. Look at all the "christian" republicans...

Yes, the hypocrisy is deafening.

The man is obviously "Insane"!

Coldo Level 8 May 16, 2018

Hahaha. He seems otherwise rational. Even taking out the occupation I can't reconcile the other two.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:82667
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.