Agnostic.com

11 2

Am I alone in wondering this?

I've read some reports as to some reasoning (nothing recent), but I still don't understand how scientists, medical staff, or highly intelligent individuals follow revealed religion. It's not my business what one choices to believe or not believe, it's just something that has me stumped. It does not seem logical. Perhaps I am showing a narrow view, or limited capacity to understand, but I just wonder if I am alone in this thinking.

MyLiege 7 Dec 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm with you on this. It's puzzling. I have a very intelligent friend who is a forensic scientist. He's also a mormon we're talking a true believer all the way down to the 'magic underwear'. I've known him for years and we've worked (and successfully prosecuted) cases together, but he follows a religion that was literally pulled out of a hat. He claims it eases his mind and allows him to focus on the tasks of the job. Then again he doesn't understand how I cannot believe in something since I'm "the most moral man" he knows.

Wow, mormon.

some people are born sheep and stay that way. it has a little to do with intelligence, although the less intelligent are more likely to be believers. i have never met a nonbeliever simpleton, they tend to believe in something.

turf Level 5 Dec 15, 2017

I think its social. Something like peer pressure on a massive scale.

I think a lot of people go with it, as it is easier, and they were brain washed as babies.. I tend to question everything, and that doesn't fit well with religion.

Some people simply compartmentalize so that they do not have to face the contradictions. It is a coping device which allows one to retain sanity and functionality.

Religion is irrational especially with everything we know but there are plenty of irrational intelligent people who just close their eyes to the obvious conclusion and accept their indoctrination

It does seem odd. The only answer I have come up with is the compartmentalized mind. The mind has compartments in which reason rules, and another, ruled by superstition where critical thinking is not allowed to enter. As long as these compartments are kept separate, a highly intelligent individual can wallow in stupidity.

I am also amazed. How can someone believe so much bible nonsense (my own opinion) and yet know about science? And I trust physicians more than the so-called religious leaders.

You are not alone. I have wondered about this myself. The only thing that makes sense to me is the brain's ability to compartmentalize. I was able to do this for years; but, I reached a point in which I could no longer ignore all of the things that simply did not make any logical sense. Why I was able to do this, and someone with a higher education and/or IQ is not, remains a mystery to me.

I made my comment before I read yours. I have stated some of what you commented. I guess we are stepping on each others toes. You're welcome. 🙂 🙂 🙂

The short answer is, smart people can believe dumb things. Just a tendency of our species I guess.

Blind faith... it's said all the time. Accept this with faith of a little child. That's my take on this...
Faith screws up everthing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:8284
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.