Agnostic.com

6 3

I hate it when Christians say, "There are no atheists in foxholes." The truth is, there are no CHRISTIANS in foxholes. Jesus told us to LOVE our enemies, not go out and shoot at them.

Benthoven 8 Oct 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was in Vietnam as a draftee and always mentioned that I was an Atheist. How many "Christians" died while on the battlefield? It was the same bullshit when they had religious services. I never wanted to go, and I didn't, so was told to pull guard duty. I wonder why they needed guards if god was on their side? The total uselessness of chaplains in the military is something I could never understand.

While under fire, we didn't have a chance to talk about anything other than getting out of the situation we were in. So I can't speak about that, but afterward, they always thanked god for saving them. However, the ones that didn't make it... I have no idea if they were happy to die.

marvintpa:
I myself didn't want to die...not even a little. I was drafted into the military, before the draft lottery. If the religious folks talked about dying, I usually didn't pay attention because I thought they were just using god to avoid the inevitable.

yeah, atheists are atheists everywhere. If I were in a life or death situation, I wouldn't start praying to a god that I don't believe in.

Ken Hamm is my favorite Christian for pure entertainment purposes. His tweets attacking aetheists are so ill-informed and so blatantly just fodder for the gullible that they are pure gold.

I've been an atheist in a foxhole for about 14 years now.

Christianity took over Rome through bloodshed.

The Israelis fought against Rome to recover their kingdom - remember Masada?

Good point. I find it interesting that the bible supports killing and murder and if our government sanctions it then that seems to be OK and, of course, they ask god to be on our side. It's ludicrous. It's the same with sporting events. Really? LIke god cares which team wins a sporting event.

As a pacifist, I don't think we should ever condone wars. Killing is killing no matter who sanctions it. Killing goes against humanity. I would much rather see us helping those who need help. Teach them and we will have friends forever. THAT seems much more Christian to me than fighting a war and killing people.

I guess if you believe in the bible and therefore believe that killing is god's preogative you may be able to support war. As a secular humanitarian, I cannot support war. There are far better ways to resolve differences starting with understanding the real issue, really listening, showing compassion, working together to meet the needs of the supposed aggressor, compromise, negotiation and the list goes on.

In therapy, I learned how to do conflict resolution and after years of practice, I am very good at it. Those skills can be learned and they are invaluable. That lesson from my therapist was worth the value of a college education in all the years of my therapy.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:835
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.