Agnostic.com

6 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am snarky, impatient, into Me first. I can summon up empathy caring, and other such stuff, but would rather not have to. Wanting to be a doormat for others problems has NEVER been high on my list...i was badly beaten on a dance floor but hubby #1 in front of several hundred people at age 19. Not one of those people bothered to so much as call police, or intervene in Any way. Did me a world of good in the long run...........

I'm very skeptical on implicit associations (2) way too easy for the experimenter to get the result he wants.(phrenology, polygraphs, and horoscopes have similar limitations) I do think people's first impressions (3) are very accurate. I meet people and immediately get the feeling they're angry or open or relaxed etc. It so often turns out to agree closely with others first impressions and only the person being observed doesn't see it. I have fantasized about being able to step out of myself to see the person others see.

It would be nice to see yourself as others see you. Or maybe not.

@tnorman1236 I'm generally well liked and people say nice things to and about me. Typically for people from abusive homes my inner dialogue is negative. Objectively, I think I'd like me based on my behavior and how I view others.

@Buttercup Personally, I would be kind of worried about how others see me. Not because I'm rude or disrespectful, or any of that stuff. I would be worried about seeming shallow or skittish or...I don't know how to put it, exactly.

@tnorman1236 Can't say much about you obviously but most people are good and their own self consciousness is their biggest obstacle. It's rare for me to dislike anyone once I get to know them.

@tnorman1236 Bah humbug! Sounds like their personal problem!

And I believe #5 should be renamed the Trump effect.

Ooh, I just read number one, and already have a response. About 15 years ago, a friend and I were commiserating about how we can give the BEST advice to others, but then fall into our own traps. We devised a plan whereby when we are facing tough situations, we write about it as if it were happening to a third person. It makes the right decisions or conclusions so much more obvious. The tricks then lies in not talking yourself out of doing the right thing, when it is not the thing you want to do emotionally. Has made my life infinitely better.

Sounds like a great idea!

I'm going to try this trick. Thank you?

I'm just gonna comment so I can find this again. I want to read it more than once. Thanks for posting!

Number 7 is VERY true! We lie to ourselves all the time. One of the biggest lies I tell myself these days is...."Oh, I don't need to write that down...I'll remember it!" HAH!

i usually can't remember what i needed to write down by the time i find paper and crayola

[news.nd.edu]

this happens to me all the time

@SeeCanU AHA! So.....it's NOT me! It's those damnable DOORS?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:83961
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.