Agnostic.com

3 2

Problems in life and the church’s 12 step program.

My last girlfriend of six years refound god and got me to go to church with her a number of times, and also to a couple of meetings. While there it seemed as if lots of people were very troubled in their lives. They were there to somehow be freed from their problem, like it was a 12 step program. During many sermons the speaker would talk to people about their lack of money, their drinking, their relationship problems etc. The answer to their problems was always “be better through god, religion, and this church”. If they just gave more in the form of money and devotion to god, all would be better. Their problems would surely go away. Excuse the pun, but the church was praying upon the desperations of their afflicted flock.

JohnGlass 6 Dec 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That's been their business model for as long as I can recall. (seems to have been so historically, too, payment of indulgences, for example). It frustrates me that more don't see through it.

Zster Level 8 Dec 15, 2017

Church is its own society. Conditioning people to think life is only better with a personal god. Your misfortunes teach you that you were weak, because your personal god and middle man (priest, pastor, etc.) repeatedly tell you that you can only find strength and answers to your problems in the personal god first, because your personal god, will answer your prayers. The one moment you succeed, it's immediately associated with your personal god. This process is supposed to enlighten, and give hope to those individuals to be misguided. These individuals are easily shaped into parish puppets.

For all intents and purposes, I do believe it is a form of psychological abuse, and basically, a cult. I do agree that they prey upon desperation of individuals. Especially desperate individuals with deep pockets.

It is my opinion that religion is a business and as in any business the bottom line is the most important.

Betty Level 8 Dec 15, 2017
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:8458
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.