Agnostic.com

7 5

Homelessness

Have you ever been homeless?

If yes, please share the "highs/lows" of the experience.

(I am not being flippant about it, I have an honest reason for wanting insight)

Crimson67 8 May 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No but it is something we need to take care of in our country. If we are the best country in the world, why do we have any homeless people.

It is the have and have not's. The disparity between the wealthy and the poor is absurd.

Yep, about 10 years ago or so.
I was living in Southern California at the time and I had lost my job due to medical problems. My brother had moved there recently so we both ended up homeless.

We had all of our belongings in the back of his truck, we were sleeping in the front.
We thought we would try getting jobs in Vegas so we went there. We were able to apply for jobs online at the public library but didn't get any bites.

Meals were very scarce and a few times we were even given food from other homeless people.
There are a lot of homeless people in Las Vegas. We were both able to obtain food cards so at least we didn't starve.
We were able to occasionally acquire some cash funds from an activity known as "slot checking."
It was through slot checking that we had enough gas money to drive back to Ca.
After a few months there I took a bus to where I am now.
My brother is somewhere in California the last I heard. (Today happens to be his 48th birthday)
I can give better details if interested.

I was briefly homeless when I was 19 and my home was flooded. It didn’t really bother me because I had good friends that gave me a place to stay until I could get my own place.

When I lived in Minnesota I was able to use the state-funded healthcare if I declared zero income. Not a problem because I kept losing jobs due to poor health. So I ended up in a homeless shelter for three months while figuring out aid programmes and having a differential diagnosis done. All I can say is I'm glad I did this during what passes for late spring there, else I'd have frozen solid during the hour every day that they toss everyone out so they can clean the place.

It was very educational.

not exactly, but when I moved here to build a house with my then partner, he ditched me before we started and I ended up living in a storage container for a few years

In my own opinion, I chose to be homeless years ago but just because I no longer maintain my own residence. And I got the money in the bank to if pissed off to move to a hotel for as long I want. You can say, I am homeless with resources and means, I am still paying for storage and my things are spread out over 3 cities in 3 states. I move as I please, extended stay suites work fine for me. Lack of rooted habitat, property or tying me to a contract was my first step for droping out, retired with 3 pensions. I just go. My car there, I here, wanting to be somewhere else add to the hustle. I let ex wife convince me every now and then into buying things and camp in an apartment or house to my name as a bachelor pad but the excitement never last because there is always a dance somewhere else. But I don't think I am the homeless you asking about.

I was shown that there really are kind and caring people out there. At the same time, always dealing with anxiety due to police. If you want to know more, feel free to ask. I will share my experiences.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:85067
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.