Agnostic.com

7 5

LINK Why Liberals Aren’t as Tolerant as They Think - POLITICO Magazine

Most(from all sides) are simply fake.?

Hating hating is not only subjective, it's hate.

When asked directly, participants with an education beyond high school reported a greater willingness to vote for these groups than did less-educated participants. But when asked in a more indirect way, with more anonymity, the two groups showed equal prejudice. “So higher education seems to instill an understanding of the appropriate levels of intolerance to express,” Najle told me, “not necessarily higher tolerance.”

NotConvinced 7 May 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"There’s an argument to be made that conservative intolerance does more harm than liberal intolerance, as it targets more vulnerable people. Consider the earlier list of groups maligned by liberals and conservatives. Rich people, Christians, men, whites and the police would generally seem to have more power today than immigrants, gays, blacks, poor people and goths. According to Brandt..."

MarkF Level 5 May 20, 2018

@NotConvinced Subjective but not ridiculous, it's the classic "white man's burden" argument that elite groups are better stewards and deserve more freedom and resources. Subjectively, I'm a liberal because I think the groups Mark mentioned should have a bigger share.

Perhaps but who will they vote for in the end?

if they aren't tolerant they're not liberals , silly

I'm a liberal but I never laboured under the illusion of tolerance. There are things that should not be tolerated, like homophobia, white supemacy, etc. I will admit that I am prejudiced against people who espouse these things. Saying this is as bad as those who are prejudiced against sexualities or races is disingenuous at best. People choose to be racist, sexist, etc, and I am free to fault them for their choices.

@NotConvinced which statement, exactly, is my opinion?

@NotConvinced what exactly do you disagree with? That intolerance should not be tolerated?

@Beach_slim what, d'you honestly think people are born racist? No, they fucking choose that shit.

@NotConvinced I think I understand what you are trying to say; people can believe whatever they want, to which I agree. However, when people try to impose their beliefs on others (gay people are icky so I don't want to serve them) is where I have a problem. I don't think those beliefs deserve tolerance. But... I also don't believe that people who hold those beliefs always need to be screamed at and called a bigot (although sometimes they are asking for it...) I do believe we must reach out to those we don't agree with and have conversations because screaming at each other from behind our chosen labels gets us nowhere.

At what point does "tolerance" become "enabling"?
At what point do the beliefs of one group, that seek to disenfranchise those who
are simply trying to "be", overrule the rights of others to stop them from inflicting
real harm?
At what point does the right to "Free Speech" become the right to roll over those
who are pushing back against what they see as an effort to control those who disagree?
When do those of us, in the middle, get to tell both sides to shut the fuck up and quit being assholes?

@NotConvinced Fine. Although, I've never claimed to be particularly tolerant. I stand by what I said above. At some point, someone has to.

Good post, I agree.

@NotConvinced (Laughs)

Do not agree and I would need to examine how the study was presented and by who

@NotConvinced On the same basis that you seem to agree.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:86183
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.