Agnostic.com

3 0

I think all religions are and have been human fabrications, but I don't think that means they were collectively detrimental or unnecessary.

I think it was useful in uniting people who had little time for intellectual pursuits while simply trying to survive. I think that there's as case to be made that many ancient societies would not have succeeded if it wasn't for the core tenets of their religion. Furthermore, just as the religious have committed horrible atrocities in the name of one god or another, Isn't anyone capable of making evil decisions on their own? How are secular institutions safer from the moral pitfalls of religious institutions?

I'd become Catholic once again if the idea of an all-powerful being was in any way believable. I don't mind going to church, I don't mind the holidays, I don't care about the scandals, and I don't mind the catechism. If nothing else, I'm glad I had Catholicism as a starting point for my own moral pondering.

I'd really like to hear someone else's perspective.

Sheitelhau 5 Dec 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes

sean Level 3 Jan 9, 2018

"If the fear of divine judgment is the only thing keeping you 'moral', then at best you are just a dangerous psychopath on a leash."

xtian, muslim and judaism religions were designed thousands of years ago as control of the uneducated. Still works.

I was taught to fear a god. god was the punisher-the persecuter. god did not make me feel good about myself as a person. I didn't count. god was a negative force in my life not a positive one in reform Judaism. At least not to me.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:8622
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.