Agnostic.com

6 6

Thoughts on Gender Identity?

I find that gender politics are one of the most interesting conversations going on right now. What sparks my asking is having recently seen Marsha P. Johnson being referred to as a queer women of color, when days before Marshall's death, he expressed in his documentary that he was a man. Do you think that we are retroactively changing conversations about gender and sexuality in order to fit today's terminology and standards?

thinkingswan 3 Oct 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The American Psychiatric Association no longer believes being transgendered is a mental illness. Not all trans people have any surgery. Additionally their hormone levels may be perfectly normal for their sex prior to transition. This is definitely something going on that is not Mental Illness. It could be a reaction by us to overpopulation. Though there are many trans people who procreate. And yes I do think we are retroactively fitting people into the new PC terminology. The APA was trying to change he/she to a neutral term back in the 1980's for the purpose of APA written papers. Wish it had taken because I wouldn't be confusing my pronouns all the time!

I have no thoughts on Marsha, except that her wiki page defines her as using feminine pronouns and identifying as a woman so if she corrected people in her end of life doc then it will take some time for people to begin regularly using the correct pronouns. (I am using feminine pronouns because that is what wiki says she identified with.) However, I will say that drag-queens and kings do not necessarily identify as transgendered, outside of their persona they may prefer to use pronouns aligning with their sex, many people tend to forget this. Therefore, Marsha may have been well known as a feminine and an activist while Marshall was not (think of it like Batman and Bruce Wayne, two separate identities). As Marsha was the more public figure it would be right to mourn her death as being that of a "queer woman of color" and using female pronouns.

As for the topic of gender identity in general. I am one of those people that others get pissy about because I don't fit into a nice little box of feminine or masculine. While I see myself as just being myself, I suppose one could call me gender-queer or gender-fluid if they had to slap a label on it. Gender really just is a social construct and we can see this in how gender roles and the number of genders have shifted throughout the course of human history. Right now we are undergoing another shift, we are getting away from the strict bonds that Abrahamic religions set in the West as the appropriate gender roles for the sexes. Some people find this disturbing and will fight against it, calling people who are not in the traditional feminine/masculine roles mentally ill, sick, perverts, or any other number of insults. While there are some people that have dysmorphia of the body in relation to their gender there are easy medical procedures that can help them alleviate this mental stress. They are not hurting anyone, we are not hurting anyone, just let us live our lives.

The short answer is yes, we are changing - ever so slowly. Where the real damage still exists is in the politics of medicine that still alters children born with ambiguous reproductive organs and genitalia. No one should ever have to endure gender assignment. We are all humans who deserve to love and be loved, regardless of the appearance of our genitalia. You might like to read 'Galieo's Middle Finger' that fully addresses gender choice, the medical establishment and gender politics.

I support what the individual personally feels that their gender identity is. It's a fairly new concept (to my knowledge at least) for there to be more genders than female or male (including transgenders transitioning to the opposite sex such as male to female and female to male). And with that new concept, realizing that gender and sex are different. Imagine if when we were born, we were just told we had a certain set of genitals, but only that. That we weren't female or male, just whatever our name is. And as we grow up, we can decide for ourselves what we are. To me that's kind of a cool concept but I'm not going to go super detailed into it. Just being me without a gender slapped on me to define me. Some people do like a gender to identify with which should be their right as well.

I just, don't see the harm in it like many people do. It doesn't affect you personally, so why be against it? Just move on, but don't bully people who are different than you. But to answer your question in short, yes we are. Like we do everything, we question customs as time goes on and whether they should change or not. That's whats currently going on. BUT, if you deny it, don't use religion to prove your point, it's unconstitutional to push your religion ideologies on others (or I should say in my opinion morally wrong).

There is actually a pretty long history of there being more than two genders throughout history. The easiest examples are those that are Two-spirit within Native American culture and in South Asia the Hijra. It is really just recent Western culture that started to define the idea that there are two genders that align with a persons sex.

I think we put too much emphasis on gender and sexual preference (using that loosely, as I know that it isn't usually a choice, in some cases it is, but I believe the majority of the cases it is not). People should be treated as humans. Race, religion, skin color, sexual or gender identity - all that jazz that divides people should be removed from our thoughts. Of course, that is a very utopian thought, prolly, but it would be wonderful. If you are male and want to play with My Little Pony - who gives a crap. But there is the double standard that if you are a girl it is perfectly OK to like things that are 'boy toys', and this stems from religion and the belief that Male is superior to Female. Go for it! Maybe if we stop pigeon holing our children, we will have a more accepting and loving society. 🙂

I have a good friend who's son is 10 or 11, he loves My Little Pony. I think it is absolutely wonderful!!! I bought him a My Little Pony tree ornament today. 🙂

I agree! I attempted to raise my daughter that way also. Now in her teens, she had dated a girl for over a year but she's also interested in boys. When my brother pushed for an answer to "So are you a lesbian, or are you straight?" her answer was a dismissive, "Do I have to BE something?" I was so proud. 🙂

Born in 1964 and my parents let me play with "Boy toys" and "Girl toys" - probably why I'm off the scale on spatial relations. (Legos.... lol).

If I wanted to learn carpentry - my Dad taught me. My Mom taught me embroidery. They just didn't think any life skills were useless. I look forward to a time where we all think this way.

I can remember my Dad giving my best friend and I a handful of penny nails - a scrap piece of wood and a hammer when we were "Bored". Ok I never was bored that was her thing. lol

I remember going to college and being appalled at what so many young women didn't know about tools etc... And I taught a lot of guys how to boil water etc....

Life skills we could all use.

Dont think it really matters tbh

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:863
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.