Agnostic.com

15 3

No hijabs no shame either

I'm in need of assistance on another post. I'm trying to explain why women should be able to dress however they please only to have women compared to ferraris and bodybuilders...

I do not welcome any further misogynistic comments, even jokingly.

If you can help me explain this more clearly, please pop on. It's one of EmeraldJewel's most recent posts.

Thank you smart people.

Donotbelieve 9 May 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The idea here is to cover the female anatomy as to not create this sexually charged atmosphere. By nature the woman’s curves attract a man. As the nun in Christianity covers she does not entice the man into sexual thoughts or fantasies they may not have thought without seeing her beauty or sexuality. Just like advertising if you didn’t see it you may not have thought about it. Just device which helps to keep the mind from the power of nature’s distractions. Boys schools and girls schools or gym classes are separated for the same reasons. There’s little freedom of choice in such cases. You’re separated there to avoid the natural problems that would exist.

@Donotbelieve
Of course I support it if that’s what they want to do with their body just like you do. If you don’t want it explained to you don’t ask the question then try to dictate the answer. It doesn’t work that way. It’s my answer take it or leave it... it’s already explained. It can’t be unexplained to you.

To be able to express themselves with joy and confidence with the body Allah has given women

To think of an explanation you need the reason why (in this case) women think that they should wear clothing that totally covers the body, not showing any part of the body that shows their femininity, as they apparently do. You can't change someone's mind if you don't know their arguments.

Gert Level 7 May 23, 2018

as the physical body is the closest i "own" in material possessions, & considering that i am free to do with my stuff as i please, i claim the same liberty for this, my body. likewise & naturally i grant everyone else the same freedom.

personally, for me as a nudist, it gets tricky during the hot summer months.

I have commented on hijabs, islamophobia, xenophobia and misogyny in the past. Not completely sure what you're asking for and I think it might be better if you could tell me specifically what you're looking for?

If women are not objects, and we are not, you cannot objectify anything they wear or do not wear. But hijabi are the same issue of conservativism. If you have internalized that much misogyny it’s not feminism, it’s toxic masculinity— if you can make the choice to wear or not wear it, by wearing it you choose the toxic masculinity that hurts women.

If you have no choice and wear it, it’s a prison.

You should never punish women or men on the basis of clothes. But you can judge what an outfit says. If you wear a bathing suit I’ll assume you mean to swim, if you wear masks, I’ll expect you want to hide, or need to... It’s painful to see anyone tormented for their gender, and as such I’m fiercely protective of that, however I’m not championing the right to be oppressed.

Explain it in similar terms that you would to a budding nonbeliever. Like you do not have to follow the norms, extenuate you ideas express you femininity etc.

I'm glad body shaming is being regarded as inappropriate more regularly, such as the notion that only perfect beach bodies are deserving of wearing summer attire.

I'm not seeing it. Can you post a link?

If a person chooses to dress a certain way and are not forced to, that is their choice.

We are all socially pressured in some ways.

@ScientistV that is true , and sometimes a sad nature of humans.

An individuals rights that do not offend the law are no one else's business but the person. If the law restricts rights of the female that are considered common rights for men then those laws need to be revised so there is equality for both sex's.

IMHO: Health & safety are the only important considerations when it comes to clothing.

Although, I admit I cringe inwardly at prominent indications of strong religious beliefs and that's another story. I also have to admit an aversion to the niqab, but women have worn veils, off and on, for a very long time. As for the hijab, many groups of women cover their hair in public, e.g. nuns. As long as you're not wearing loose, flowing stuff around motorized equipment or open flames, it's nobody else's business.

Something that amuses me about where I live: Women (and men) wear shorts and skimpy tops in the summer and no one bats an eye. But, take out eh garbage wearing pajamas that cover you from neck to wrist to ankle and the police will get a dozen phone calls. (rolling my eyes)

Got a feeling that person has blocked me so if I was you can wouldn't stress as they are morons ... . People are automatically delegated to moron status when they block me especially in this site as everyone who has blocked me so far has fine so because I have disagreed with them

Nope the person hasn't blocked me so I retract this statement . They've just likes a post of mine .. I just. Ant find the post your talking about guess I'm the this time lol

I've always found it best to tell people who are judging other people to mind their own business.

What the hell gives anyone the right to tell someone else how to live their own lives???

People who judge others, or compare others, are unable to look inside themselves for fear of what they will find. Comparison is a killer. It's what drives the advertising industry, and what has made our society and culture the incredible fucked-up mess it is.

Until someone is able to stop judging and comparing themselves, they will not know unconditional love. Once they do know it, they will no longer feel any need to judge others.

I'm often reminded of that old school-yard adage... when you're pointing at someone else, there are three fingers pointing back at you.

I could continue to rant about it, but I think y'all get my point.

Tell the morons commenting on that other post to fuck off until they take care of their own crap.

Usually, people who think it's okay to tell others how to live their lives won't understand, no matter how simple the explanation. If it doesn't fit into their narrow world view, they want it to change to sit them.

I'm not sure it helps but I have a friend within the Islamic community that broke away from tradition and dresses more "westernized". She still wears a headdress/scarf in certain circumstance but hasn't had issues otherwise (from what I know).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:87438
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.